What's new

Buffing out key marks/door scuffs (1 Viewer)

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Got key'd in a big way by a punk stepson of a friend (or at least that's who we are blaming it on...long story) Plus we got a few door scuffs from parking in the airport lots.

Color is light brown - what's the best way to minimize the visual nastiness ? Not looking for a perfect job as I was quoted 500+ to paint the whole door. Vehicle is a 2003 Sienna.

Thanks in advance !

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Get a professional to do it... all we have around here home theater couch potatoes.....LOL

Jimi C

Screenwriter
DO NOT TOUCH YOUR CAR WITH 400 OR EVEN 1000 GRIT SANDPAPER! You will go through the clear coat in 2 passes with 400 grit paper!

Take it to a professional DETAILER (not a bodyshop), they will use a roatary buffer and a polish to to remove the scratches. A good wax will only hide scratches, a polish is an abrasive and will remove them.

Heres a good resource, you can probably even find somebody locally who will do the work for you through this site. http://www.autopia.org/

James T

Screenwriter
How deep are the scratches? I got keyed last year and it was so deep that they needed to replace the panels.

You can take it to insurance. It'll be listed as vandelism, so it won't affect your monthly rate. That's what I ended up doing

AjayM

Screenwriter

That will fall under the comprehensive side of the policy, so he'll have to foot the bill for the deductible, if he has a $500 deductible (fairly average) he's not going to be that far ahead of the game. And while one claim may not affect his rates, it's still a claim, if too many claims are made against a policy that will affect his rates.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Thanks folks - the scratch is fairly deep so it probably won't all come out. No worries on the sanding, not my bag.... I was quoted 600 bucks by a body shop (car was in for repairs from an accident) and my deductible is 500 so that is a wash.

Thanks again - I'll try the Meguirs and a detailer if that doesn't make things a bit better.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
If you want to give it a try yourself, Meguiar's Scratch-X is a safe bet. Be sure your arms are in good shape 'cause it really takes some work.....but it won't harm your clearcoat finish.

Mort

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks