Buffer underrun problems! Help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickSo, Mar 4, 2002.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I've had my CD Burner drive (4x4x24x) for a couple months more than 2 years now, and its been working fine ever since except a few instances where it didnt work for a month or so, bu it always sprang back and worked...
    Well anyways, recently i've been having a problem...
    When i burn Data CDs, it works fine, when i burn CD Images, it works fine, but when it comes to Audio CDs from MP3s using NERO 5, it keeps Buffer Underringing...
    The first time it was with a CDR, i figured i had the Antivirus on Autoprotect, and i truned it off and it worked...
    but then i treid burning again next time, with autoprotect off, but it keeps buffer underruning.. it has NEVER buffer underruned before until recently... I have burned an audio CD before fine with Nero5, but i THINK i didnt have Norton AV installed yet... I even turned all background program soff, and still buffer underruning.. even in SIMULATE mode.
    Data discs burn fine...
    Anybody know whats wrong? I've used up like 4 coasters on one CD [​IMG] Is it Noron AV?

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

My best advice would be to save up some money and buy one of these CDRW burners with BurnProof built into it because it makes the CD burning process hassle free. These burners are now in the $60-$80 range if you shop around (even at the retail stores like Office Max/Depot, as well as CompUSA).

3. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I believe an even better solution to NickSo's problem is the get a new PC, especially if he's still trying to use that 166Mhz Dinosaur that he was talking about in after hours many moons ago.

Thats where your buffer underrun is coming from, the CPU is too busy translating the MP3 files to WAVs to write data to the CDR drive therefore the CDR drive's buffer is running out.

4. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Kelley is correct. Nero is using a lot of crunch power to convert the MP3 files into audio CD format.

Simple solution: Write the CD out to an image file, then burn the image to CD-R. That way you're doing all of the really hard processing work without risking a coaster.

5. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

NickSo, you can always convert the MP3s to WAV files first, if you have enough hard drive space. In fact, Nero has this feature built-in.

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    You can also try to see if there are any extraneous programs running, by Ctrl-Alt-Deleting and going to the Task Manager or whatever it's called and killing any process you KNOW is extraneous, like some controls for your sound card, Acroread32 is another one that seems to run even when not being used. Stuff like that will free up your CPU time a wee bit.

Jay

7. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Hmm, yeah ive been thinking of a new burner, but my PC is kinda slow, i guess wtih Buffer Underrun Protection it'd be okay...
    The weird thing is, before this, the buffer NEVER ran down below 98%, only until recently, at about 45%, it starts going down, to 0 and buffer underrun... With nero as well..
    Maybe the new Nero5 requires more CPU power??? I have like NO money for any upgrades unless my burner is totally rendered useless [​IMG]
    And like i said, i do close all background programs, so there are only like 3 in Task Manager...
    I'll try writing it to a CD Image first... that would be easier... i dont like converting MP3 to wav...

8. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

You may also be able to go into Task Manager/Proccess tab/then find Nero proccess, right-click and up the priority from "normal" to "high".

Nero should then get more resources and have priority over other processes that might be running on your computer at the same time.

It's probably a good idea to change the setting back to "normal" once you have made your CD.

I have an older computer myself and I can't have any other programs open while burning CD-Rs or I usually get buffer underun errors. If I set the priority of Nero or EZCD Creator to "high" and then only write the disk at 2X, most of the time I have 100% acurracy.

Hope this helps a little.

Brian

9. Jeff R.

Jeff R. Stunt Coordinator

You can also try slowing down the burning speed to 2x or (ugh!) 1x.

10. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Brian: Im on Win98SE, i dont think it has that...
    I've tried burning at 2x, didnt work... ill try 1x [​IMG]

11. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

12. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Ah thaks alot... but i think ill just stick with making an IMAGE before i burn it.. [​IMG]

13. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

Nick,

One thing I haven't seen mentioned so far would be to defrag your hard drive. When you're burning a CD, the hard drive has to be able to transfer data fast enough to keep the burner's internal buffer filled. If it can't you get the buffer underrun.

Of course, I'd also suspect that converting MP3->WAV on the fly would be a problem as well, but if it was working before and slowly starting doing this, it might be a fragmented hard drive to blame.

-Brett.