What's new

Buena Vista Goes All BD-50 for January Blu-ray Slate (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
After thinking about this Disney's announcement, getting a few BD-50's, and stewing it over, I think Disney is on the wrong track. They must be determined to use inefficent codecs if all they want to do all is chuck out fatburger BD-50's even for short films.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Does it really matter which codecs they use as long as the picture quality is still good? I don't see how releasing DB-50s is the wrong or right track. It shouldn't make any difference as long as the quality is still there.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Chris, I might have a different take on this if I thought all those many gigs were going to good use for say, HD extras or hours upon hours of SD extras. I suspect that won't be the case. I suspect going all 50 gig is to perpetuate MPEG2. We'll see.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Several of which are on HD DVD - and at least as beautiful.
So 50GB isn't strictly necessary in those cases and they prove nothing for the format.

Cees

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy

I have a handful and alone it's no quarantee of a good disc. Kingdom Of Heaven looked OK but it max'ed out a 50 gig'er because of inefficent codecs. I think Blu has to figur out how to make the most of 25 gig discs and not just push everything to 50 gig discs as an answer. That's why the Disney announcement sounds wrong. Are they releasing 10 long, epic films or 10 typical movies? If it's the latter, it ain't neccessarily good news. I don't want the cost of my BD's run up by inefficent codecs that require even short films be on more expensive BD-50.

MarekM

Supporting Actor

Cees if the movie on HD DVD is above 25GB, they have to use 50GB BD disks...

Marek

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
That's right, Marek. Blu-ray needs 50GB in certain cases. Just like, as David Boulet pointed out in the "end is near"-thread, Sony needs the 50GB in certain cases. Actually: they need the second layer.

But that doesn't mean that at this point in time it has been proven that we, the consumers, need BD. At the very moment we're as well off with the equivalent HD DVD releases, which are in no way less beautiful picture-wise, and which (including some with TrueHD) are less expensive to us all.

Cees

MarekM

Supporting Actor

come on Cees.......

we don't need it ?
so you would like it like KK ? where you can't put almost nothing on DISK ? because it's full up to last bit ? not even DolbyTrueHD track ? no HD extras ? no other loosless track ?

and if you are talking that we don't need BD50GB, suddently we need 2x30GB editions of HD ? because movie will took all place on one disk, so they have to put extras on other disk ? how come ?

Marek

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Marek,

I wasn't even discussing whether or not we need BD50. My point was that those releases (the ones with a HD DVD equivalent) don't prove it.

Cees

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Marek, if they need to seperate a movie on two disks, so be it. We have lived with this with DVD's since their inceptions, and I doubt the studios would get many complaints. In addition, we have lived with long movies at theaters with designed in intermissions for films over 3 hours long.

As this is a very small percentage of films (most run in the 100 - 130 min. range). I can not in any sense of the imagination see this as a critical issue. Obviouly, the studios do not think so either.

As far as King Kong fitting on a 30 GB disk with a lossless track, we will not know, as Universal has pretty much made it clear through their releases, that they do not believe lossless tracks are all that important. For the general public, who they sell o, this is absolutly true.

MarekM

Supporting Actor

Thomas, it's clear that KK WILL NOT FIT with DolbyTrueHD !!
there is a thread on AVS with numbers of how much GB took each film on disk... KK and MI3 and SEARCHERS are almost to the last bit on disk....

look Thomas, with HD (Blu-ray or HD DVD) I was expecting to have HD EXTRAS, loosless TRACKS on ONE DISK...

in perfetc world that means a BD50 disk with AVC/VC-1 codec, 2 loosles tracks DolbyTrueHD/DTS HD MASTER, extras in HD

that's what I IMAGINED when I first started to read about HIGH DEFINITION

I DO NOT LIKE to pick up any exuses that GENERAL PUBLIC NOT CARE....

first I was sure, that HD is not for average Joe....., and I am very sad, that average Joe will set STANDART what will be on any HD disk :frowning: :frowning:

if that is direction where STUDIOS will be looking...... than HD is dead in my eyes....

Marek

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I think you're in the minority. I think almost all people wouldn't mind very long (3+ hours) being split across two discs (it's a MINISCULE percentage of movies, and almost all such movies have a natural intended intermission), nor would they mind the extras being on a second disc.

MarekM

Supporting Actor

ok so I am in minority....

but I don't WANT HD DVD of KING KONG without LOOSLESS CODEC,
am I want TOO MUCH ? if I am getting TOP HD PICTURE QUALITY,
why I am not getting TOP AUDIO QUALITY ?

universal is telling me I have to be happy with DD+ ?? well I am not allone who is not happy..

why they did not SPLIT KK ? are they afraid to show that if they want to have HIGHEST PQ and AQ, they HAVE to split movie to 2 discs ?

sorry Robert, I don't want buying same move over and over again.... and yes I am sure KK will come with EX edition, DolbyTrueHD in coming years....

Marek

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
What is this "loosless" audio format I'm hearing about? Are the bits sliding around in the data stream, or something? :D I kid, I kid!

I think you're look for the word "lossless."

Dan

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Marek,

Why two lossless tracks? They would both give exactly the same end-result!

I'm very much against the notion of more than 1 (truly) lossless audio track on 1 disc. Strongly against!

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks