budget system

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by DanKim, Feb 28, 2005.

1. DanKim

DanKim Auditioning

hello, i'm sure this question has been asked to death, but i was hoping you could help me out. i'm looking to buy some floorstanding speakers and a receiver, and maybe a subwoofer if i have anything left over. i have no previous home theater experience, so everything is totally new for me. i've done some searching, and for budget receivers it seems the sherwood 7108 seems popular and a good bang for the buck, if you could recommend anything else that would be great. i'm looking to spend under $800(shipping included) for the two floorstanding speakers and receiver. Originally, I was thinking of the SX from fluance along with the dayton from PE or the jbl e250. I was wondering if I should stay with what I initially planned on doing, or go with two better floorstanders and maybe a better receiver, and buy the surrounds, center, and subwoofer later. It'll be used 70/30 ht/music. Any recommendations you could give would be great. Thanks.

2. MichaelPR

MichaelPR Second Unit

getting floor standers with a receiver that can run them properly for $800 might be mighty difficult. Are you open to book shelf speakers at all?

3. DanKim

DanKim Auditioning

i am open to bookshelfs but i prefer floorstanders. I forgot to say i have nothing against buying used or refurbished either.

4. MichaelPR

MichaelPR Second Unit

I would look into the Paradigm performance line and pick up possibly a Yamaha or Pioneer receiver. Or check out the Swan 2.1 over at Audioinsider. They are supposed to be on par with B&W 800s and are only $300. If I had the cash I would pick a pair of those up. After that I would focus on picking up some surrounds a center and a pb10 from SVS! The dimensions of your room will also play an important role in what type of speaker you will need to properly fill your room. I just don't think you'll find anything of quality to run floorstanders on an $800 budget.

5. EvanW

EvanW Stunt Coordinator

if u were just gonna go with a 2 ch setup a pair of yamaha NS-555 or NS-777 floor standing towers and a onkyo TX-8511 receiver cant be beat for the price. yamahas:500$-600$
    onkyo:300$

6. DanKim

DanKim Auditioning

how would the yamahas compare with jbl e90s? are the 90s worth the difference over the 80s? i read that the 6.5' produced cleaner midrange than 8' drivers. i just did a quick search on the ns-777s and what i found didn't sound so promising. thee ns-555s on the other hand seem to be a good deal. for now, i'm looking for a 2 channel setup, but hope on adding to it as i get more $s, eventually buying a center, surrounds, and a subwoofer.

7. DanKim

DanKim Auditioning

Just an update, I went ahead and bought the Fluance SX-HTB and a new onkyo 502 for a total of $500 shipped for the living room of my apartment, and ns-555s and refurb onkyo 8511 for $450 shipped for my bedroom. I am very happy with both my purchases after having them now for two weeks. Thanks for the help. Now time to buy an svs, [​IMG] .

8. Rick TX

Rick TX Auditioning

I'd also check out Home Theater Direct. They seem to have good speakers for the money. Then you can add either an Onkyo for Yama receiver and you should come in around your budget.

9. Eric C D

Eric C D Second Unit

Congrats! Glad you're enjoying - I like your plan & execution. I think you're smart to save up for that level of sub rather than one in the $150 to $200 range. Yes, those subs add some kick, but the good quality subs in the $400 to $600 range nowadays will drop your jaw and leave your friends *supremely* jealous.

That is what we're in this for, right - jealous friends??. [​IMG]

enjoy,

P.S. As always, do look into the info about calibrating your sub and maybe even eq'ing it for max performance.