What's new

Budget Subwoofers: Velodyne VX10 vs Dayton 10" 100watt (1 Viewer)

John^^Lee

Grip
Which one do you guys think is better? Velodyne is rated to 35hz +-3db, whereas the finished Dayton is rated to 25hz. They both are roughly the same price, $129 vs $124.

Any ideas? I'm looking to purchase asap.

P.S. I will be pairing with an vintage Advent Response Model 420s hi-fi radio/reciever and a pair of onix rocket elt lrs satellites. I am not looking for a matching onix rocket subwoofer, they are out of my price range. New to the speaker world, I have been using my Sennheiser HD580 and Ety ER6 for a while.

Thanks!

Max F

Second Unit

Really, this is a no-brainer 25 hz vs 35 hz (thats pretty crappy)... The real decision would be whether you want to save up for a better sub or go the DIY route and blow yourself away. If you answered no to those, then buy the Dayton.

MikeGee

Second Unit
Hey Max i'm in the same boat as John... is the DIY route reccomended for a beginner. I have been trying to find out more info on where to pick up the parts and for wiring diagrams...
If it wasnt too technical... i dont see any reason to get a store brand
Any help on the DIY kinda sub would be awesome.

Max F

Second Unit
I believe the only thing difficult with a sub (opposed to building speakers) is building the box and making it look presentable. I'm not an expert - i have yet to build anything, but i really want to bad (wife cut me off of buying anymore equipment). :frowning:

Anyhoo, just ask a question in the DIY section of this board. Really nice folks there that are more than willing to help. Search through there and you'll find many links to projects other folks have done. Good luck! :emoji_thumbsup:

John^^Lee

Grip
Chaintech AV710 Hi Sample - > 1/8 to L/R RCA - > Advent 420S aux-in. The advent drives the rockets, and only has a tape-out (2x rca), so I was thinking I should use that to connect to the subwoofer via with L/R rca plugs (more output that way).

Should I do it the other way around, so that the subwoofer is first to get the signal, and then it feeds the output to the advent which then drives the speakers? or does it not matter?

John^^Lee

Grip
I got the sub, I'm using L/R low level inputs, crossover at 40hz (lowest), and the sub still goes up pretty high, it reproduces the lower parts of many vocals. any insight?

Oupei

Agent

either way, I don't think you'll be able to control the volume of the sub with the receiver. You can either drive the sub with the high-level output from the receiver or get a new receiver...

John^^Lee

Grip
well i just used low level outputs, setup works fine.

I put the crossover on the subwoofer to its lowest setting, 40hz, but the low sections of most vocals are still reproduced in the subwoofer. Any clue how to fix this? I'm playing stereo music.

Chris_GT

Auditioning
I have to say that the Velodyne is the best sub I've heard in that price range - but I haven't heard a Dayton yet. I use it @ home with michaura m55's and a cambridge audio amp. The sub is tight... the sig does not stick out from the rest of the system. Then again, it's a strictly music system, not HT.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks