Budget subwoofers- Audio source SW-12 Vs. Sony WM-40 Vs. HTD Level II

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sebastian, Apr 14, 2002.

1. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

Hello everyone!

I was looking to purchase one of these subs to compliment my high end exotic HT set-up, actually my other budget stuff. It seems that a lot people like the Sony sub but when I look at the specs I would say that the AS SW-12 would be a better sub.

Bigger enclosure= usually means better bass frequency response

and more power (watts).

So how come there is so much talk about the Sony sub and very little about the other two subs?

Please elaborate for me.

Thanks.

S

2. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

yeah I did and there are 5 good reviews for the Sw-12 and and several for the sony and none for the HTD level II 10" sub.

Basically just wondering why everyone chooses the Sony over the Sw-12 when the SW-12 looks like it would be a better sub.

3. Will Gatlin Jr

Will Gatlin Jr Stunt Coordinator

I use the AS/SW-15, and filled it with fiberfill. It can run with subs costing 2-3 times as much. I use it in my bedroom. I tried it in my main room (12"by27") and it worked very well. Two of them stacked would be hard to beat.

4. Ryan Cruz

Ryan Cruz Stunt Coordinator

Sorry but what does AS stand for?

5. BruZZi

BruZZi Second Unit

6. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

Will,

A 15"? Most of my Audio experience is from car audio. 15" woofers would have low bass but usually they would be slow and would never "hit hard" like a twelve or even ten, if you know what I am saying.

Maybe it is different in HT sub's

Yeah I saw all the reviews for the audio source 15" pretty popular sub.

SO you are pretty happy with I take it?

7. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Bunk......

As far as a 15 being slow and a 12 or 10 being faster, tighter harder.

Do a simple search and the many threads discussing such myths!

To put it in simple terms the driver and it's design around it will have a huge bearing on the sound it produces.

At the lower end price point for commercial produced subs, one note boomyness, bloated, or so called slow bass might be found much more prevalent due to a large number of variables. 2 of which are a cheaper driver and thin walled cheaply designed cabinets. Derived mostly from simple----> (price point issues).

Thats why you see so many doing mods to the Sony-40 and AS-SW15. Deading the cabinit,lining the walls with sound deadener, extra internal bracing, and also stuffing which all can help to tighten the bass up a bit. Depending on the amount of stuffing will also change it's tuning point. Both the Sony-40 and AS-SW-15 being ported subs.

Sorry I do not remember seeing anything here at HTF on the AS-SW12 you posted about, though a search may provide something.

Sebastian:

Im sorry I can't help you with your quest for information on the original question due to not owning either sub. You might try a search on both subs here, the Sony search will produce much for you to read.

Good luck in your bass quest....

Edit.... The Sony is thought of here as the best bang for the buck.

8. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

Sebastian,

You should try to listen to both before you buy. If this is impossible then go for the SW15, it will give you both more dB's and more low extension than the Sony, costing about the same. I agree with Geoff regarding such myths as "fast subs".

9. Will Gatlin Jr

Will Gatlin Jr Stunt Coordinator

Sebastian...

Car audio is way different from home audio. I use 2 Velodyne 8" subs in my car that hit real hard and tight (I use 1000 watt amps on each sub). The same 8" subs couldn't do any justice for my HT. My room is too big. For my HT, I use Velodyne HGS-18 (18") sub that has a contineous of 3000 watts. Now talk about hitting hard and real low. Just thnk about having an 18" sub w/3000 watts hitting in your trunk. The frequency cut-off has a lot to do with the performance's both cases.

My AudioSource SW-15 is for my bedroom, and it does it's job. Would I have this sub in my main listening room, no? I've been through so many subs, and I know the sound that I like. If someone doesn't want to spend $$$$, then get two of them, polyfill them, stack`em, and let'em rip. Good luck!!

10. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

Man, I can not believe I am now considering on buying a 15" for my HT. (my wife thinks we have enough bass with a cheap little 8" sub HA!)

I don't know why, maybe I am just being hard headed but I am having a hard time believing a $200.00 15" sub could actually hit low and hard even with the mods. I have two twelve inch woofers in a bandpass enclosure in my car that hit like a ton of bricks (over 130 dB) Who knows maybe I will enjoy a 15" in my house.

What sucks is that I have now way of demoing either of the subs so I am going to have to take a leap of faith, I guess

So looks like you are all on agreement that the 15" is way better than the SW-12?

11. Kevin_W

Kevin_W Second Unit

Sebastian,

If this is for your home theater, and you can afford it, why not go the 15" route. With its deeper extention, it will bring more life to those low freq heavy soundtracks that are the norm nowadays.

12. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

Yeah, I will definitely look into a 15".

Thanks everyone for your advice!

13. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So

14. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor