budget subwoofer

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Kevin Patterson, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Kevin Patterson

Kevin Patterson Stunt Coordinator

Hey im thinking of making a subwoofer for my dads home theater i am considering a shiva for the driver i am living in canada and would like to spend no more than 350$cdn and would like to make the box ported what is the best sub amp combo for this money pe 250W amp? this will go over budget but will the pe amp and the shiva sound nice to gether and if anyone knows and cheaper combos please tell me thanx Kevin

2. Andrew S-

Andrew S- Stunt Coordinator

3. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

Check with Creative Sound Solutions about getting a Shiva and their 100W entry level amp. I did a similar combo with a DPL12 and that amp for a friend and was very pleased with the results. Just wire up the voice coils for 4 ohm nom. You should be able to do this within your budget.

4. Aaron Howell

Aaron Howell Stunt Coordinator

MCM's 250 watt plate amp is still only $89. There is only 7 left right now though...so you may want to get one soon. I doubt the price will stay the same on the next batch.

http://mcm.newark.com/NewarkWebComme...sp?id=50-6281A

I have a few of them, they drive my shiva's very well.

5. Joe Ku

Joe Ku Stunt Coordinator

Here is what I am going to build for my brother in law as soon as it warms up.

15" dayton quatro, 5.5-6cuft ported box, 250 watt MCM amp (only $89, can't beat that)

The box sounds big but externally it will be just under 2 ft per side with bracing included in the calcs, It will only consume one piece of MDF to build. Output will exceed 110db with an F3 of 22-23hz, not bad for about $200-$225usd (I don't know what the excange rate is), you could also lower the F3 to 20 by upping the box size a little if you desire, I figure with room gain the 5.5 cuft box should have an F3 below 20.

Have fun

6. Andrew S-

Andrew S- Stunt Coordinator

Sound pretty good Joe.

7. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Man, they had about 120 of those things a few weeks back when I placed my order. However, I still have 2 sitting in the box - not sure if I want to go this route yet, or just purchase a pro audio amp instead.

Decisions, decisions. [​IMG]

8. Aaron Howell

Aaron Howell Stunt Coordinator

Ya, when these plate amps went on sale the stock dropped pretty quick. I bought another one just cuz I know I won't be able to find a deal like this for a while. I have 2 sitting in the box now to, plus 3 in use.

9. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

I like those cheap little Tangbands... does anyone use them right now? Just looking for an impression of how they sound, how low they reasonably go, etc. I guess some already successful box dimensions would help too if anyone has 'em.

(sorry Kevin, I'm not trying to jack your thread!)