What's new

Budget Subwoofer (1 Viewer)

Sean_Oz

Grip
My parents are looking to upgrade the living room's stereo equipment. The speakers are taken care of, B&W bookshelves all around for those who are curious. The last issue is the sub. I think the $500 B&W wants for the ASW 600 is to much for my parents however they are concerned that the sub they get blends well with the B&W bookshelves. Does anyone have any suggestions on a sub? How is the HSU STF-1? Try to keep it under $350 please. THanks for your help!

Sean

DavidNighorn

Stunt Coordinator
If you can still find one, the Sony SAW-40 (this is the approximate model number) is a good one. The last time I checked, it was about $140 or so. It is a good little sub that is capable of shaking the ground during movies while still sounding good with music. If you have a very large room, you might want to look elsewhere though.

David

WayneO

Supporting Actor
STF-1 is a decent sub for the money, but it is pretty small for a sub, though your parents might not care. I'd lean torwards the STF-2 for $400. It'll go a bit lower(25hz vs. 32hz) so you can actually reproduce most of the sound in todays movie soundtracks without cutting anything out. Call it insurance that won't be wasted. As long as the sub is calibrated with the speakers, it should blend great. It's not necessary to match brands to gaurantee blending.

Justin_D

Stunt Coordinator
I know I'm a little biased, but what about the Velodyne CHT-8?
Its good pretty tight bass, and can do very well in both music and movies. ~$300 at CC

Sean_Oz

Grip
Well my dad decided to go with the HSU STF-2. I am eager to hear it. I doubt it will compare with my PC+, it shouldn't as the + is double the $$, but it should definitely be interesting. Thanks for your help guys!

Sean

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks