What's new

Budget subwoofer recomendations needed (1 Viewer)

Dylan

Agent
I currently have a Sony 23W powered subwoofer (6 5/16 inch speaker, cone type) along with a Bose passive woofer (connected to the accompanying Bose satellite front and center speakers). The Sony has a frequency range of 28Hz-200Hz and a high frequency cut-off frequency of 50Hz-200Hz. I am not feeling the base frequencies like a really good sub does so I want to upgrade my Sony, but I have a limited budget ($100-$200) so I cannot get the high quality ones commonly talked about in this forum. I saw a Panasonic sub on 6ave.com on sale in my price range (site says it retails for $150). The specs for this are below:
Frequency Response: 32Hz-350Hz-16dB
1 Way - 1 Speaker System
Bass-Reflex Type
Amplifier Power: 50 Watts Dynamic Power

What I want is to FEEL the base during an explosion, not just hear it. I realize that this probably isn't realistic in my price range, so any recommendations on other models/brands that might approximate this goal are greatly appreciated. I would like to know what specs I should be looking for to help accomplish my goal (i.e. is it just the size of the speaker, amount of wattage, ect?).

Rick Guynn

Second Unit
None of the comeercially available subs in that price range are going to make you feel anything (IMO). What you need to look at is a frequency response graph produced by someone other than the manufacturer. I believe the 'felt' bass is normally in the 30Hz range, so you need good output around there. Most of the less expensive commercial subs just can't do it.

Now, if you wanted to try the DIY route, you 'might' get something to do that appreciably in the ~$250 range if you found good sales/used components and have a few tools laying around.

RG

Michael Gdwn

Agent
Audiosource 15 with 200 watt amp. Sold at ubid.com for $160 at auction. Then go to audioreview.com and read the reviews about how to mod it and buy 4-5 pounds of polyfill from Wal Mart for $10, get some feet spikes at partsexpress.com ($20) and you have your self something you will most definetly FEEL!

Michael

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Sony SA-WM40. Its supposed to be the best performing subwoofer in its price range, which I believe is within your budget

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Dylan

I second the Audiosource SW Fifteen. The best sub for less than 200 bucks. Yes, I know some people believe that it is the SA-WM40, but lets get to the numbers:

The Sony have only 120W compared to 200W, the sony is a 12" the Audiosource is a 15", and the most important, the Sony is limited to around 30Hz but the Audiosource is good to about 25Hz. Oh, and don't let the numbers you have seen so far to deceit you, your sub is probably good down to 40Hz, no more, the Panasonic will not reach 32Hz. On the other hand, the numbers I just gave you on the Sony and Audiosource are real, you will be able to feel them.

By all means, do research on the SW Fifteen. It gets my fullest recomendation.

Unless, you are considering your best oportunity to have bass of the big ligues; going DIY. Do some research and post your questions on the DIY forum, for about 200 to 250 bucks you will have something even better than the SW Fifteen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks