What's new

Budget sub (1 Viewer)

RyanHud

Stunt Coordinator
Hey everyone, Im lookin for a new sub to replace my POS sony 50 watt 8 inch sub. I dont have all that much money i can put on it. About $300 canadian (about 250 american) I was about to order a Dayton 12" sub from parts express today, but it was out of stock, so i thought id take the time to ask, should i get somthing else? I know everyone suggests SVS and HSU but i wouldnt be able to save up for that, im 19 and money just burns a hole in my pocket. Ive read a bit and saw that the audiosource appears to be one of the best budget subs. Any input on this?
Thanks a lot in advance.

eddieZEN

Second Unit
Call up Hsu and ask for their B-stock inventory. You can often get the STF-2 for $320 B-stock, that extra $70 would be well worth it over a $250 Dayton. Don't know how Hsu works with Canadian duties and taxes though.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
You could also keep checking for a "B-Stock" SVS PB10-ISD. New they go for $429. IMO, it's the best sub you can buy for under $700.

eddieZEN

Second Unit
John,

what other subs have you had a chance to listen to in this price range? Have you had a chance to AB anything?

I've been curious about the PB10 myself...

Ron Temple

Stunt Coordinator
There are quite a few threads on other forums regarding budget subs < $300. Here are some candidates, they generally don't go as low as a Hsu or SVS, but can get down in the mid-20s with output...

Acoustech H-100 (ubid - ebay)
Cadence XSub12 (cadencesound.com - ebay)
Dayton 12 (cheapest)(PE - Amazon)
JBL E250 (ubid - ebay)
JBL S120PII (ubid - ebay - J&R)
Velodyne DLS3750R (only at Vanns, only in silver - $249 shipped)
Mirage S10(Vanns or Crutchfield)

All of these have some good reviews/fans and aside from sonic differences, seem to perform about the same. I own the Cadence and have auditioned the Velo. Check em out...

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
eddie: My setup is used mostly for music (80/20). Concert DVD’s, SACD’s, DVD-A’s and of course redbook CD’s are what I listen to. About a year ago I did a lot of research and auditioned numerous 12” subs. I listened to subs from Klipsch, JBL, Infinity, Paradigm, Velodyne, Sony and Yamaha. I auditioned them over about a 3 or 4 month period. I was unable to audition a SVS or HSU sub. But, I’ve read HSU makes great products and originated the powered cylinder sub design. At the time I was really looking for a sub in the $500-$700 range to fill a large room (18'x23'x14'vaulted ceiling). I bought the PB10-ISD because of John Garcia, a fanatical poster on this forum. He explained how the driver in the PB10 was designed very similar to the much more expensive SVS Ultra driver and was a steal at $429. After ordering one, I was stunned how well this 10 incher could fill my room and how musical (tight) it sounded. After a few months though, I realized that the PB10 had a dB limiter and couldn’t produce the “Concert Level” volume I was looking for in my large main listening room. But, In a small to medium size room the PB10 can’t be beat. I still have mine and wouldn’t sell it for anything. But I did replace it with a PC-Ultra, which is nothing short of stunning for music playback and HT duty.

Oddly, when I originally emailed SVS and conversed with one of the co-owners. I gave him very specific details of the room, my other components and what my rig is used for. He told me point blank, “the PB10 will do the job and fill that room, but you won’t be happy with anything less that the PC-Ultra”. At the time, I wasn’t prepared to spend $1200 on a sub and I thought he was just “selling me up”. I week later I ordered the PB10 anyway. I found out later, he was right.

p.s. here’s a few of the subs I’ve owned: JBL PB12, Velo CHT-12, SVS PB10-ISD & the SVS PC-Ultra.

My 5.1 setup: Toshiba 35", Parasound HCA-2003(L/C/R), h/k PA2000(rears), h/k AVR 525(pre-amp), Denon DVD-2900, Paradigm Studio 60 v.2, Paradigm Studio CC v.2, JBL S36-II's(rears), SVS PC-Ultra, Better Cable interconnects, 18'x23'x14' vaulted ceiling

eddieZEN

Second Unit
> He told me point blank, “the PB10 will do the job and fill that room, but you won’t be happy with anything less that the PC-Ultra”.

Well that pretty much covers both cheeks of his backside, wouldn't you think? ;)

I sure wish I had the chance to AB the SVS pb10 against the Hsu STF-2 though, that'd be very interesting! Unfortunately return shipping for a sub is quite a bit more than a pair of bookshelf speakers...

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
"Well that pretty much covers both cheeks of his backside, wouldn't you think?"

I had a similar thought when he made that statement. But in his defense, he was right! The driver in the Ultra offers a musical, or "tactile" feel that most sub drivers can't reproduce. Granted, most HT users couldn't tell the difference because their setup is used mostly for movies.

Sorry Ryan, didn't mean to highjack your thread.

MikeNg

Second Unit
I've heard that our neighbors north of the border get pretty good deals on Paradigm's, since they are made in Canada. That might be a better bang for your buck once you factor in shipping, taxes and such.

RyanHud

Stunt Coordinator
No worries John, i find all this stuff interesting so I dont mind. Thanks for the input everyone, I wish my location wasn't so lacking in the availability in audio equiptment. Going to be a tough choice i think, that Cadence Ron mentioned looks to be pretty good. I'd love to be able to demo these, but right now i cant afford to ship it here just to demo it, and nothing around here has what i want. Have to do some more research i suppose.

KeithMoechnig

Stunt Coordinator
Has DIY ever crossed your mind or would be possible? Tools(and possibly the skills) could be in a shop class in high school or college.

Doug Stewart

Auditioning
Keith - What would you suggest for a DIY sub? I have the skills, tools, and ability to build cabs. Any pre-packaged parts kits you would recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks