Budget Speakers Needed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Gazi, Oct 28, 2001.

1. Steve Gazi

Steve Gazi Stunt Coordinator

I'm going to try and get my HT going in the near future. I'm leaning towards the Kenwood VR-505 (100x5) receiver, so now I'll need speakers. This may be asking for a bit much, but are there any cheaper speakers that give good performance? Again, I'm not looking for TOTL stuff, but stuff that will sound pretty good.

2. Nick G

Nick G Stunt Coordinator

Define "cheaper". To some folks cheap is $800, to another $300 etc.
    Nick

3. Steve Gazi

Cheaper as in the $150-250 range, but that depends on what type of speakers they are. Anything more than that wouldn't be done justice by my TV.

4. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

You might want to save up at least another 700+ dollars before wasting your money on junk to suffice you "need".

5. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

That is a low starting point for five speakers, unless you are just wanting two to begin with. You could try UBID and get some klipsch 1.1, but even those would probably go over 250. One company that has mixed reviews, but mostly positive from people who have bought them is Fluance. They have a five speaker deal for 199 but I know nothing about them first hand. You can check them out at Fluance.com. Also do a search on them in this forum and you will find some info. Also these speakers have no return policy so beware. Good luck and if I were you I would take that 250 and buy a good starter pair of speakers that can eventually be moved to your surrounds.

6. Jonathan Lofgren

Jonathan Lofgren Stunt Coordinator

For $150-$250 I would suggest you just get a pair of speakers or possibly a pair of speakers and a center channel. Both the Paradigm Titans and Atoms are good budget speakers. I've auditioned the Titans and they are quite good for what they cost.

7. Steve Gazi

I mean for $150-250 per set. I want to buy a set as I can afford them.

8. Mark Gurney

Mark Gurney Stunt Coordinator

I agree with John. A while back I was in your position; I just wanted to get a home theater together (for as little as possible) so that I could enjoy my DVD's to the fullest. I was looking at cheap, boxed home theaters, cheap Technics and KLH speakers and low end receivers from Kenwood, JVC and Sony. Eventually I found some sites (including this one) that convinced me I should hold out, save up and get something that would make me really happy.
    So I did just that. While I am still in the "low-end" of this home theater hobby stuff, I saved up $2000 and am now the proud owner of a home theater that I am amazed with. Saving the money and waiting was well worth it. My HT specs are below:
    JVC 32D501
    Denon AVR-1602
    Infinity Interlude IL30 (Mains)
    Infinity Interlude IL25c (Center)
    Coral Audio BX-601 (Rears)
    Soon to be replaced with IL10's
    Apex Digital AD-600A
    Soon to be replaced with...something.
    Monster cabling all around

9. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I would check out the JBL NSP-1 Here at Bizrate scroll down to e-cost and they have them for $274, these are sweet!
    They will mate very well with the 505 and you won't have to worry about upgrading them soon because they sound so damn good.
    "The NSP-1 surround package is designed with the same dedication that made JBL the premiere speaker provider for more theatres, stadiums and music halls than any other brand."
    ------------------
    Sean
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"
    [Edited last by Sean Conklin on October 29, 2001 at 12:58 AM]

10. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

11. Peter Johnson

Peter Johnson Stunt Coordinator

I would speak to a guy called Paul Lam. He is a dealer in Canada. He is currently selling the Axiom 3ti for $US210, shipped to the US.
    It is an extremely well reviewed speaker, but I have never heard it. I suggest you at least look into it. I would persoanlly be extremely suprised if they were not MUCH better than the Paradigm.
    http://www.harmonicdiscord.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=1748&forum=16&7

12. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

Why not get the kenwood htib.It is around $300 for the reciever,5 satellites and a sub.I heard it at sams club and target and it sounds pretty darn good for the money.
    ------------------
    Chad's DVDs

13. Steve Gazi

The JBLs sound good. I'll check on those.
    Has anyone else tried the Kenwood HTB sets? I found the cheapest one for $250 (shipped).

14. Glenn Baumann

Glenn Baumann Stunt Coordinator

Steve,
    Check this out, here is a system worthy of very serious consideration http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/002836.html
    For $500.00 you get a seamless timbre matched 5 speaker satellite system along with a professional grade powered subwoofer which propels you into big league sound. All equipment has seen VERY little use and is LIKE NEW! I have also sent you an e-mail.
    Regards,
    Glenn

15. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Steve,
    For better sounding speakers you will need to spend more than what you are currently looking at. For around $200 or so, look at the nOrh 3.0s (I'm selling a pair of rosewood drum 3.0s for $100 plus shipping), Axiom M3ti, and Paradigm Titans. If you can stretch the budget to $300 then you will want to look at the wood nOrh 4.0. Good setups generally go for around $850 or so for five speakers and $400 on up for the sub. Whatever you do, establish a clear upgrade path. If you can, try to get the front three speakers at the same time as that should ensure they are timbre matched. Good luck!

16. Robert br

Robert br Extra

hey steve, I have the jbl nsp1 speakers and I think you would really like them. They sound just like a movie theater!coooool!

17. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Another JBL NSP1's recommendation.
    Since their introduction, these JBL speakers individually and collectively, garnered the following comments, accolades and praise from various reviewer's

18. Steve Gazi

Wow. A lot of people seem to like this JBL NSP-1 speaker set. It seems like a good deal for $275 (shipped). Would this be a good start?
    I don't have money for a receiver or a powered sub yet, but I'm going to try and buy a piece each pay.

19. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

YES Steve the NSP-1 is a great start, thats why we are talking so highly of them!!
    Did you check out Phils links? Phil is a seasoned enthusiast and is a JBL Northridge expert.
    You can't get a much better start than this for the price, unless you start looking at used stuff.
    I had a chance to get higher priced and supposedly better speakers, and they just didn't compare to the Northridge.
    I basically run the NSP-1, except I use the N-26 as mains and the N-24 for surrounds. They sound so good to me I have no plans for new speakers yet, and I do have the sickness known as upgraditis, when I do upgrade you can be pretty sure it will to be bigger JBL's, probably Northridges.
    ------------------
    Sean
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

20. Steve Gazi

Ok. I'm looking to pick a set of these up next pay. What kinds of plugs or wires will I need to run these? I need a fair amount of wire to run around my ceiling to get around back. Will that attenuate?