What's new

budget speaker setup (1 Viewer)

JasonBenway

Agent
Here's what I'm thinking about. (All without hearing them, just good feedback from this forum)

Athena ASR1 pair for 160
Athena ASC1 for 100
Athena ASF1.2 pair for 400 or ASB1 pair for 100
Dayton 10' sub for 100

I'm not sure if the $300 increase for floor speakers is worth it. I'm on a tight budget after getting the basement finished.
I still need to buy the reciever,projector, and screen. So saving 300 on speakers would be a plus.

The room is about 11x20, the reciever I'm looking at is the Pioneer VSX-1015TX or simliar.

thanks,jb

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
IMO, floorstanding speakers are a waste if you just set the crossover @ 80Hz - and let the sub take over from there. I'd get the bookshelf speakers, but put a bit more money into the subwoofer. I've read some pretty good things about the 12" Cadence subwoofer over at Audioholics. It seems it has been selling in the low $200 range. If you went this route, you'd still be about $150 ahead - than if you opted for the floorstanding speakers and the cheaper P.E. 10" subwoofer.

billybob_jcv

Stunt Coordinator
If you buy bookshelves, don't forget to add the cost of the stands - decent ones will be somewhere between $75-$150/pr.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
My "bookshelf" speakers are sitting on top of some funky 50s style endtables. They were free.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks