budget reciever

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by George Bir, Aug 25, 2004.

1. George Bir

George Bir Stunt Coordinator

Would like to stay within 500-600 for a reciever if possible. Using paradigm mini moniters front,atoms rear,cc370 center. Was looking at ps1000 sub, but didn't really like some reviews at audo reviews about boomy and some humming. Got some good advice to look at svs from the speaker forum. Leaning towards SVS20-39PCI.
    Anyway the recievers in mind are Marantz 5400, Denon 1905, and the NAD T743. Hopefully they are enough for both music as well as movies. Any recomendations on these or others?

Thank you very much for your time. This forum is great, alot of good people and information.

2. Thomas Nichols

Thomas Nichols Stunt Coordinator

I've got an entry level H/K and you may want to take a look there. Great sound.

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Look for refurbished stuff. I'm running an old Pioneer 606 receiver which originally MSRPed at $600. I got it refurbished for $150 a few years ago and it sounds -fantastic-. You can get really fabulous deals on receivers if you look for factory refurbished (B-stock) stuff.

4. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

George,
    you may want to check out www.ecost.com they have some great Denon recievers and other components a lot cheaper than anywhere else, and they are an Authorized Denon retailer. You may be able to find a better reciever for what your willing to spend. Its mostly refurb stuff but Denon did the refurbs themselves, mostly just minor repairs from what other people have posted in other forums. They have warranties too.

5. Dan J S

Dan J S Agent

With so much talk about the Panasonic SA-XR50 (digital reciever/amp) these days I think it would be worth a try. It's well within your budget and supposed to sound very nice. The XR70 is coming out soon and will probably still be under your budget.

6. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

What ever you decide on make sure you get a iron clad two year warranty with it.
    My Harman Kardon needed warranty repair after a year. H/K were great to fix it and I got it back in a month.
    When my receiver broke I asked around and warranty repair for receivers was certainly more common than other gear.

7. George Bir

Thanks for the advise, I will look for waranties. What about extended, heard they are usually not a good idea.

We just went to demo the Denon with paradigms. When the movie was on and reciever was at 0 db, the sound was barely loud enough in normal dialouge. When action started it was to loud. Will I have to keep adjusting volume or was the system not setup properly, or is this a fault of the reciever.
    When music cd was installed it blasted out way to loud at 0 db. This was still on soround sound.

8. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

I bet it was set up wrong. I havent heard of any complaints about Denon gear.

9. Hank VT

Hank VT Agent

My Onkyo has a Cinema setting that lessens the differences in volume. This may also be known as Midnight Mode.

10. John S

John S Producer

George Bir,

The system probably was not really calibrated you demo'd. But keep in mind, reguardless of calibration, I usually set my center (dialog) channel per source/title.

11. Yung

Yung Stunt Coordinator

The Pioneer VSX-1014TX-K and the Denon AVR-2105 are in your price range.

12. George Bir

Sorry for my ignorance John S, but what do you mean by setting the center to source/title?

13. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

I think he means adjusting the center channel volume level everytime a new dvd title goes in his player.