Budget receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Hopewell, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Eric Hopewell

Eric Hopewell Auditioning

My brother is looking to get started in HT with a receiver budget of around $300. I'd like him to have DD and DTS with at least two digital inputs and binding posts for all channels. My thoughts are to look to Yamaha. What else should we add to his list for consideration.

Thanks

2. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Try the Onkyo TX-DS494 or, if you can still find them, the 484. The 494 has DPLII, while the older 484 doesn't. You might also try the Denon AVR-1602. Both Denon and Onkyo are great bang for buck receivers. I'm sure other people will have recommendations too, but you can't go wrong with any of the three here. These days, just about any receiver will do DD and DTS processing. Yamaha also has some great budget receivers, as you've already mentioned.

3. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

If he can swing it, the Onkyo 595 is a great deal at $375 + shipping from J&R.

4. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

The Onkyo 494 has the peculiarity of not having any way to adjust delay times for the speakers... which makes it pretty much useless unless all your speakers will be equidistant from the listening position. However, the 595 is an incredible receiver and well worth the extra money.

The Denon would also be quite nice in that price range.

5. Kelly Scott Rickards

Kelly Scott Rickards Stunt Coordinator

Yamaha is introducing the RX-V630 in March..
    This unit has DPL2, Dolby Digital, DDEX, DTS, DTS ES, DTS Neo 6 and 6 amplified channels at 80 watts each..
    Since the RX-V630 has an MSRP of $499 dollars (the same as the 5 channel Denon 1802 and Onkyo 595) you should be able to get it around the same price as the Denon and Onkyo (ie, under $400 street price)....
    If you are looking for somthing cheaper than that, look at either the RX-V430 ($299 MSRP) or the RX-V530 ($399 MSRP)..
    Both of these units are similar to the 630 except they both have only 5 amplified channels (80 watts each) and the 403 has fewer in/outs than the 530/630 (Yamaha hasn't released all the details yet).....
    You can read about the 2003 Yamaha reciever line in this thread:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=36998