budget receiver with good ext. amps

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Len Cheong, Jan 26, 2002.

1. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

If my budget receiver has lousy internal amp specs (1% thd) but I use it as a preamp with good external amps (

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Yes. However, are you sure the THD specs are for just the power amp part of your receiver? How do you know that the preamp section is cleaner sounding than the power amp section? THD is a distortion figure, and any component in the chain can add distortion, not just the power amps.

Assuming your receiver has a good preamp and poor power amps, then your idea would produce better sound. If not, you may not gain much.

3. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

Thanks for the confirmation. I am assuming that the preamp section is at least ok since it has 24/96 A/D conversion but the S/N ratio is only 96 db. They give 2 numbers for THD - 0.2% for just the fronts and 1% when all channels are driven. I don't understand why this is but maybe someone can clarify...

4. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Well, your amps and your power supply have to work much harder to send 100W (or whatever) into 5 channels instead of 2 channels. I think all receivers have better specs into 2 channels than with all channels driven.

5. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

Saurav, thanks for clarifying that. They never explain that basic stuff in magazines.

6. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

You're welcome. There are a lot of helpful people on this board who don't mind explaining the basics, so feel free to ask any questions you have, regardless of how silly the question might seem to you. IMO, that's one of the main reasons for the existence of boards like this, to share information.