What's new

Budget receiver recommendation? (1 Viewer)

Suibhne

Auditioning
This is about somewhat lower-end stuff than I've read here in recent days, but here goes.... :)
I have up to around $500 to spend on an AV receiver, to drive an Infinity HT setup (4.1 - IL40 mains, an Interlude sub, some older but good Infinity bookshelf speakers now doing surround duty, no center [yet]). My primary goal is music fidelity, including classical and other acoustic music (though also pop). I also watch a lot of DVDs, however, especially Chinese and Japanese DVDs (no, not pr0n!) which either have a bad 5.1 track or no 5.1 track at all. Because of this, I wouldn't mind having Dolby Pro Logic II to enhance my experience with those movies. And I'd like analog inputs for an SACD player.
I've looked at the Outlaw 1050, but I'm hesitant due to its lack of DPLII (though I might still go that route if I thought the music quality would be significantly better than other receivers in its class). I've also considered Denon's 1802, or possibly the 2802 if I can find a decent price.
Unfortunately, my situation (without access to a car) makes it very difficult for me to audition any receivers, and I don't have much experience with audio hardware. I have a good ear, being a classical musician, but it's not attuned to audio hardware - and almost anything new is likely to sound better than the low-end Sony receiver I'm currently using.
Any thoughts?

Boka

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in the same boat as you, needed a new receiver for < $500 and I didn't have the ability to audition anything (overseas military). I finally ordered the Denon 1802 for ~ $350. The main selling points for me were reliability and DPLII. I chose over the Marantz 5200 because the Denon was cheaper and I didn't need the extra features (6.1 channels) of the Marantz. I don't have the 1802 in hand yet but after 20+ hours of reading and research, I feel it was the best choice.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
DPLII is entering it's second year of production. If you look around or wait, you may be able to catch a closeout deal on an older model that is higher in the lines that you're looking at. Sometimes older discontinued stuff is sold off when the new models come out at a significant savings. I have bought most of my system using this rule, and I'm extremely happy wih the results.

Maneesh

Stunt Coordinator
what about the Pioneer VSX810? If you do a search here you will find lots of posts about it (mostly positive!)

Denon 1602, 1802, Kenwood's VR-6050, Onkyo SR500, SR600 are all excellent receivers within your price range.

I also second Philip Hamm's suggestion, and would also add looking on auction/classified sites for a good deal if you don't mind buying used.

peter a

Stunt Coordinator
if theres anyway you could save up and buy that denon... you'd be a happy happy man/woman.
p

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The Pioneer VSX-D810 or the newer VSX-D811S would be great if you eventually want to move up to a 6.1 setup. If DPLII is a major priority, then you will need to get the VSX-D811S. I have the 811S and had the 810S and both are great receivers. The only reason i upgraded from the 810S to the 811S is because a friend purchased my 810s from me for only $20 less than i could get an 811S for online ($320 shipped). If you don't plan to go on up to 6.1, then look at the Pioneer 710 or 711. they are the same as the 810 and 811 except w/out 6.1 decoding/output. Again, the 710 does not have DPLII and the 711 does. These can be found around or under $200, giving you some $$$ to get a nice center, and possible a sub.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Ditto the Pioneer 811. I love mine and it replaced my Outlaw 1050. No regrets, the 811 is top notch bang for the buck.

Alfer

Suibhne

Auditioning
Well, this is a big jump for me, but I decided to go ahead and spring for the Denon 3802 (!) instead (assuming I can still get the $695 deal). As I've explored my new setup, I realize that I'm much more concerned with audio than with video, so I'm applying the money I budgeted for an anamorphic telly to the receiver instead - and I'll still come out ahead. Thanks for the input, all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks