Budget Projector set up... how does this sound?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris_Pyle, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Chris_Pyle

Chris_Pyle Auditioning

Wasn't sure the best place to put this for a quick reply from those in the know.

Best buy is currently offering a Toshiba projector for sale. 24 months same as cash. Its the TLP-S30U model.

What I'm trying to find out is will it work for what I want to do with it. I will be using a TV MOST of the time but occasionaly I'd like to.... play our game cube on it, run the computer to it, run the DVD thru it and watch a movie "on the big screen", take it to other locations such as using it at my MME/CF gathering to put up motorcycle stuff for entertainment during dinner. I can't find any real info other than factory specs on it. I don't know if it is a good unit/bad unit, don't know if its bright enough for my plans, don't know if its sharp enough for what I want to use it for. Any help with this would be appreciative as I'll have to go get it this weekend if I'm going to do it. I wouldn't do it at all if I couldn't get it for the 24 months same as cash.

Also, I've been looking over the screens available and quite frankly I'm lost. I've found what some have recommended as good "starter" screens for just a hair under $150 which sits on a tripod. This is good in a way because one, I'll be moving in a few months and don't want a perm mount. Two, I'll need to be able to take the screen to other locations occasionaly. Three, I won't be using it all the time so I can keep it out of the way.

Price wise thats good for me as well. I'm on a tight budget at the moment and need to stay under $200. I can always upgrade later after I move. Any thoughts on screens would be appreciated as well.

If you can help please do.

2. JasonGarrett

JasonGarrett Agent

That's a good projector. You should also check out the Sanyo PLV-Z1 and InFocus X1 in that price range. You can find reviews and specs at projectorcentral.com, plus lots of discussion in the digital projector forum at avsforums.com.

As far as I can tell, the best prices on screens are at AVScience.com. Call and talk to one of their sales guys; they're very helpful. There is also a forum for screen discussions at avsforums.com.

3. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Supporting Actor

Checkout this site for more info on it. I did notice that it does not have component inputs.[​IMG]

4. Chris_Pyle

Chris_Pyle Auditioning

Thanks for the replies. I'm checking the link for screens out right this moment.

As for the componet plug ins.. what am I looking at here? Is that going to be a problem for what I intend to do with it?

5. TanT

TanT Stunt Coordinator

You can buy a VGA-Component breakout cable for about $20. This will allow you to hook up component source to the VGA in on the projector.

I wouldn't buy this projector to be used in my home theater though. The contrast ration is too low for me [​IMG]

I would spend a few more hundred dollars to get the X1 or Z1.

Has anyone noticed that BB is saying that this projector is a 3-panels LCD projector in one place and DLP projector in another place [​IMG]

Obviously they don't know enough about the product they are selling [​IMG]

6. Chris_Pyle

Chris_Pyle Auditioning

Well, my biggest problem is money, and needing to be able to use it for multiple things such as computer and also be able to take it elsewhere.

Have you seen it in person or just going off of specs?

7. TanT

TanT Stunt Coordinator

I haven't seen it in person but I've seen an NEC LT156 projector that has almost identical specs as the Tosh.

Makes a nice presentation projector but not a good home theater projector thouhg [​IMG]

8. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

Did you know that Best Buy also carries the Infocus X1 projector?