What's new

"Budget" HT to go with new Wega (1 Viewer)

GermainW

Grip
Just got the 36XBR450. Now I need to shop for the other stuff for my new HT setup!
At first I was considering Sony's "HT in a box" option (namely, the HT1300D, which matches the silver finish of the Wega nicely). But after going to the shop to listen to it, I changed my mind, convinced that I can do better even if I'm on a budget. (As it is, I already have to eat Ramen for 3 months after getting the Wega)
tongue.gif

Can someone give me some ideas about how to build the best system for the money (can only spend about $1,500-2,000 on a receiver, DVD/CD Player and a set of speakers).
For the DVD player, I am almost certain that I'm going with Sony's DVP NS-700P. And as for the speakers, I need something that will sound decent with music as well....
[Edited last by GermainW on November 07, 2001 at 12:50 PM]

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
How much is the dvd player? That way we can take those funds out of the mix. What are you leaning towards as far as type of speaker? Bookshelfs with a good sub? Towers?

Glenn Baumann

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Germain,
I happen to have a wonderful little timbre matched (5) speaker system for sale that is worhty of serious consideration. It is in LIKE NEW condition and is only $300!The sub has already been sold, it is the (5) satellites only. I work in New York City and I see you are in New Jersey, if you were interested I could work out delivery for you. This setup performs like setups that cost much, much more... just add your favorite sub and rock on! Here's the link... http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/002836.html
E-mail me if you might be interested, this setup is a steal.
You would not be dissappointed!
Regards,
Glenn
[Edited last by Glenn Baumann on November 07, 2001 at 01:37 PM]

GermainW

Grip
The Sony DVD progressive scan player can be had for around $290 I think.
As for speakers, would like to go with Towers, if possible. I know $2k ain't a lot of money for HT, but hey, I'm still living off my severance package...
blush.gif

As for the subs, what are people's thoughts on NHT's SubOne? Found a deal oneline for about $590.

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor
to be honest, I think I'd go for some nice bookshelfs like the hometheaterdirect.com level 3's (or whatever floats your boat)and the center and match that up with an svs sub. you want the sub to handle all the LFE anyway, so why blow a bunch of money on towers when you most likely will routes the LFE to a sub anyway. IMHO, this will get you a sweet sub, and some nice imaging qualtiy bookshelfs for music and HT. AS far as a reciever, I'd maybe go with an Onkyo or a Denon. Do a search, and I'm sure you'll find lots of nice topics. Later.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Best budget receiver IMO is the Yamaha RXV620 or the retail equivilant 5460 I think. Look hard for it and you can score it for under $400. Match that with a nice set of Paradigms or Def Techs and you got the best $1500 system money can buy.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
With the DVD player out of the mix, you are left with $1,700 to give to me, uhhhhhh, I mean, for everything else.
wink.gif

A good receiver will likely run you $400 on up. In that price range are:
Onkyo TX-DS595
Denon AVR-1802
Yamaha HTR-5490
Outlaw 1050
Speakers, well ... let's just say personal preference here.
Paradigm
B&W
Klipsch
NHT
Energy
ACI
nOrh
Swan Diva
Axiom Audio
Ascend Acoustics
Link Removed
HTD
Subs:
Paradigm
Velodyne
SVS
HSU
Adire Audio
Personally, for $1,700, I'd go with the Denon AVR-1802 ($450), nOrh 4.0 package ($850), and Adire Audio Rava ($400). IMO, that will give you the most bang for the buck.
[Edited last by BryanZ on November 07, 2001 at 02:16 PM]
[Edited last by BryanZ on November 07, 2001 at 02:16 PM]

Nathan_F

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan
You should be able to get the Hometheaterdirect Front Tower package (tower mains, center, sub and bookshelf surrounds) for $979 direct from the manufacturer. Add an Onkyo 595 for DD/DTS/DPLII at $375 web price (search www.pricescan.com or another comparison site for the best deals.) Add in the $290 you mentioned for the Sony DVD player and you're in at well under $2000.
Just my thoughts...

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Just my 0.02 cents. All good suggestions above but why go with a progressive player on an analog TV? Or is that TV HD? Sorry if it is, I'm not up on the latest TVs. (I've got a two year old 32" wega and it's great.)
Anyhow, if it's analog, save yourself another $120 and go with Panny's RV31 at Amazon.com. Currently it's $165 out the door (no tax, $15 off $180 price, free shipping).

Ron Katcher

Agent
The NHT is a very good sub... BTW, OneCall.com appears to be clearing out SubOnes for $399.0, a great price.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
My choice would be:
Onkyo 595 ($360 at J&R) or Denon 1802 (?)
nOrh 4.0 speakers ($850)
Adire Rava Sub($400)
That's $1610 plus delivery for the receiver and sub (nOrh includes shipping in their prices). And if you decide later on that you want to experiment, you could use the Shiva 12" driver and 250W plate amp from the Rava to build a ported DIY sub for more extention and output.

Rich Boykin

Auditioning
Don't forget to add some $$$ for cables....figure a couple hundred or so for a decent set of component video cables, a digital audio cable, good quality powerstrip, speaker cable, etc....
When I put together my system to go with my 36XBR400 I forgot to figure the cost of some quality cabling in the equation....wasn't a big deal, just a surprise when it came time to hook it all up! :P
Oh, and Bob-N...the XBR450 is a "HiScan" tube from Sony...and is HD ready (though some will argue that it is not "true" HDTV).
Cheers,
Rich
------------------

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i say:
Outlaw 1050 receiver ($499)
your DVD player ($300)
Paradigm Monitor 7's (towers, ~$650/pr)
Paradigm CC-370 center (~$300)
Sony SA-WM40 sub (~$150)
that puts you at $1900 for 3 front speakers and a sub. you can pick up a pair of JBL Northridge speakers for surrounds or something else in the $100/pr range. i'd spend as much $$ as possible on those front three though and upgrade the surrounds later. (some might think it's crazy but -hey- that's what i'd do!)
------------------
-Thomas
My HT

Rob Robinson

Second Unit
I'd get a :
Harman Kardon AVR 220 for $499 from onecall
and speakers from yawaonline.com ($1250)
PSB Image 4T Tower Speaker "B" Stock (pair): $429.00
PSB Image 8C Center Speaker "B" Stock: $199.00
PSB Image 1B Bookshelf Speaker "B" Stock (pair: $195.00
PSB Image Subsonic6 Subwoofer "B" Stock:: $429.00
And I'd pay $225 for the JVC XV-S65GD DVD player.
$1975 total

Martice

Screenwriter
Go to Adire Audio's site and look up the 281 pseaker kit. Better yet, go to Acoustic-visions.com and look up the completed version of there 281 kit. It gets rave reviews and the particular completed set looks great.
Go to the "do it yourself" page and search for Adire Audio 281 kit.
------------------
What if it gets no better than this!?!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks