Budget HT...return Polk R30s for R20 bookshelves

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Cancienne, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Chris Cancienne

I've moved this from the basics board as I started to have more questions in regards to my speakers.

My set-up:
    Receiver- Sony DE685
    Towers- (2) Polk Audio R30
    Surround- (2) Polk Audio RT15i
    Center- (1) Polk Audio CSi20
    Sub- DLS 10" / 100 watt (Partsexpress)

Ok guys...here goes. Forgive me for being cheap and trying to "cut corners".

Would there be any advantages (besides saving $$) or disadvantages in returning the R30s and replacing them with the R20 bookshelves and having those as my main L/Rs and putting them on 28" stands? The specs are almost identical. Same two drivers (Mid 6.5" dynamic balance, tweeter 3/4" dynamic balance dome tweeter). Frequency response is different and the R20s are 150 watts as opposed to the R30s at 100 watts. Difference in cost including the stands would be around $140 = a new DVD player.

Also would it be a good idea to replace my RT15is with the RT15s (not sure how much of a difference between the two)?

Does anyone have any experience with the R20s as front L/Rs?

Thanks!

2. Jeff-Watson

Jeff-Watson Stunt Coordinator

Chris,

I had r20s as my mains until I added R30s and moved the r20s to the rear. Your specs are incorrect on the wattage rating. It is 150-R30 and 100-R20. The floor stander can handle a little more juice. The reason I love having the R30 as my main speaker is because when listening to music in stereo they are much better equipped to handle the lower freq. I don't use my sub for music. Although they share the same drivers the r30 just sounds fuller and more alive. Just my opinion but I am growing more sensitive to sound every day.

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

If you mainly use the system for movies, then you'd probably enjoy the R20s and new DVD, especially since you can probably get a very good Prog Scan DVD for $140 online.

If you listen to alot of 2ch music w/out a sub, then you should probably stick with the R30s. 2ch music w/out a sub is really where larger speakers shine.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

4. Chris Cancienne

5. Chris Cancienne

Bump...for the morning people