Budget HT Questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aleksei S, Feb 16, 2002.

1. Aleksei S

Aleksei S Auditioning

First off I'd like to comment on what a great forum this is, you all sound very knowledgable, and downright friendly compared to some forums I've been on.
    Second, I'm sooooo sorry I ever found this forum, I've got a feeling it's going to cost me![​IMG]
    I've decided to upgrade my old 27" GE TV to a 32" HD-ready Hitachi (32UDX10S). It fits my budget, my available space, and has gotten some good comments around here.
    My 1st question is: What brand of HD receiver should I be looking at? All the ones here in Denver seem to be connected to DirectTV. I'm not really in the market for DirectTV, I've got Digital Cable and I'm happy with that.
    Are all the HD receivers connected to a satellite deal?
    2nd: I one-box home theater system a while ago (2 years?) the Sony-DAV-S300. Which I now find a little lacking both outputs and inputs (number and quality). I'd like to upgrade to the Kenwood HTB504 (yeah, all in one box again[​IMG] ) I'm wondering if I should skip the HD receiver for now (since there isn't much HDTV in Denver at the moment) and just go straight to the Kenwood?
    3rd: I've been burned by the computer industry one too many times with new, vastly improved models showing up 2 years later for 1/2 the cost. What is the staying power in the Home Theater market, are there any "new" technologies looming on the horizon? Or should I just chuck it all and go to Europe for 2 weeks instead?
    Thanks for your help, and sorry for the long 1st post.
    Cheers,
    Alex Saunders

2. Wes C

Wes C Supporting Actor

Welcome to HTF Aleksei,
    1) dont know, sorry.
    2) Dnt be ashamed of buy another Home Theater in a Box if it is the Kenwood 504/544. It is an absolutely amazing system for the price and is highly regarded on this site. I dont know much about HD but if HD broadcasting is limited in Denver at this time, i would go ahead and at least make it sound good.
    3) Speakers see almost no BIG technology improvements over a large period of time. In fact speakers from 15 years ago could still sound outstanding. I wouldnt worry about that too much. About Europe, hmmm[​IMG]

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Alex,

Welcome!

Yes, I think this forum will eventually cost you a dollar to two... but you'll love every minute, I promise!

I'll preface my reply by saying HDTV is not my forte persnally- but I'll offer what I do know, and hope someone with more info can chime in and offer some better specifics.

4. Aleksei S

Aleksei S Auditioning

Thanks for the input guys.

I think I'll improve the sound and wait for Denver to get a few more HD option before I worry about the converter.

Cheers,

Alex

5. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter