budget home theaters

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Robert-, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Robert-

Robert- Auditioning

I am looking for some advice on a home theater. I have a 17'x22' room with 9 foot ceilings. I need some sugestions as to what audio systems I may be able use for that size room on around a $1500-1600 budget. Also what recievers I could use with ample power on a $600-700 budget.

Thanks Rob

2. Stephen<W

Stephen<W Auditioning

Hi Robert,

I just spent weeks listening in those price ranges. I had settled on the Dreamcatcher 5.1 system from Totem Acoustics, powered by the Denon 2106. The Denon I bought off of ebay at the rather good price of $465 (MSRP $1015). The Dreamcatchers retail for around $1800. So you would save a bit on your budget for the electronics, and override your speaker budget somewhat.

In the end, I backed off the Dreamcatcher package and bought into a 2500$ pair of mains. The Dreamcatchers sounded great, but I wanted more room for expansion, and I have no second listening space into which I can pass depricated equipment. So I bought up. I'll add more to the system as I can, or as deals appear. A subwoofer and center channel are on the immediate horizon.

Most fun shopping I've ever had.

3. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

Robert -- lots of good AVRs out there in the $500 class. But power isn't the only, maybe not even top of the list, thing to consider for features. Suggest you do some research at the a few manufacturer's sites. Denon, Onkyo and Yamaha (among others) all make good gear and you should get spec sheets couple models out of several lines and start comparing features. Dwnload the user's manuals when you're down to the "short list" and look them over for any surprises.

The receiver is just one piece of the HT system and they all interact to some degree. Plan it out and try avoid the "oops" later.

Things to think about along the way include: Am I going to do video switching with the AVR? If so, does it have all the inputs I'll need for the devices? Do I need/want the AVR to do video conversion as well as switching? How flexible is the AVR for setting up combinations of speakers? How's the remote look and feel? Is the remote one I can program for other stuff? That's a few things but not complete.