What's new

Budget HD Ready RPTV... Samsung vs. Panasonic (1 Viewer)

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
I'm actually helping a buddy of mine get a new RPTV and thought I'd get suggestions and different opinions from the good members of the HTF.

So far he has set a budget of $2000.00 max for a HD ready widescreeen RPTV and would prefer a screen size of around 50 - 55 inches. He has pointed out 2 TVs from our local Costco which he likes... A Samsung HCL5515 and a Panasonic PT47WX49S.
The Samsung is going for $1799 and the Panasonic is $1599.
Does anybody have either of these TVs or experience with them?
I would appreciate any comments on these RPTVs or maybe other models that should be on our short list.

Thanks,
Brian

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
Thanks Tony.

I forgot to add, he'll be watching DVDs-20%, cable tv-40% and video games-40% of time on this new RPTV.

I did some reading and it seems the Panny PT47WX49 is fairly highly regarded set but I'm not sure how he'll like the grey horizontal bars or stretch mode on 4:3 sources.

Brian

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
With a 40/40/20 split against DVDs, is your friend sure an RPTV is the right choice for him?

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
Josh,

I asked the same question and he said he'd like to get the biggest screen size he can fit in his new family room.
We figured out that a 55' set would probably be the max.
He also added that he wanted to "stay with the times" and get current technology which is why he wants a HD ready widescreen TV.
I tried to explain burn-in issues and vertical bars on 4:3 material and he claimed he would learn to live with it.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks,
Brian

SteveMo

Stunt Coordinator
Get the Samsung at a reliable dealer and get the best warranty possible. I have heard that Samsung and Panasonic can be sorta overwhelming when it comes to fixing or replacing parts. Mabie it's that way for every brand I dunno.

Why don't they like the Toshiba?

SteveMo

Stunt Coordinator
I couldn't find the Samsung model you are posting of. Do you mean HCM5525W? Non widescreen zooming. Sounds like it might not make much differnce which one. :)

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
About the extended service plans:

For the HDTVs, the service plans are a BIT expensive. This is logical, as HDTVs have a higher performance threshold than regular TVs, but remember to factor that in when you buy your set. I think the 4-year service plan for HDTVs is $300 at Best Buy (where I work), but I'm not sure.

I'd definitely recommend picking the service plan up though -- not because I work there, but because its good insurance should something go wrong with your TV.

BobJ

Stunt Coordinator
Be sure to discuss burn-in with him since he has a 40% video games usage factor.:D

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I would recommend he budget some money for a ISF calibration after he gets some break-in time on it (whichever model he chooses). It will make an enormous difference.

-Keith

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Well, if he insists on playing console games on the RPTV do him a favour and explain to him that he should set the contrast WAY down, even if it seems a bit dark. There's nothing worse then burn in.

- Mike

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
I have to recite my current mantra: It doesn't matter what he watches the most; what matters is what his most critical viewing is.
He should find the TV that gives him the most satisfying viewing experience for the material he watches most critically.
For me, that's DVDs. I'll accept a lower-quality picture on broadcast TV if it means I get a better picture when watching movies on DVD.
Personally, I'd go with the Pioneer, a smaller picture but a more highly regarded company. But that's just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth! :)
J.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks