Budget DVD Player that Upconverts through Component

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by DavidMich, Sep 30, 2006.

1. DavidMich

DavidMich Stunt Coordinator

The thread title says it all. I'm needing to purchase a fairly inexpensive progressive scan DVD player (Blu-Ray not necessary) that upconverts the signal (to 720p and 1080p and outputs it through the compnent jacks. My display is an older (new in December 2001) Pioneer SD533 that does not have the HDMI interface.

I need the expertise here to help me out! Tell me a good one to get, that doesn't have problems with picture quality. I would really appreciate any links to a source as well, as I want to order it quickly.

Thanks so much for your input. I appreciate it!

2. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

Hi David - for budget players (

3. DavidMich

Well I'm willing to spend more than $100. My display locks in full when using the component outputs, if that helps. The Pioneer SD533 has a pretty good upconverter in it, if I'm not mistaken.

Is the Zenith DVB318 still outputting an upconverted signal throught the component cables? Is this what I should be looking for? If so, where is an inexpensive place to order from taht has them in stock? Is there a better DVD player than this one for about the same money?

Thanks again.....I've been outta the loop on these things lately adn appreciate the help!

4. DavidMich

Can anyone help me here? I need to purchase the player today.....

Is there somewhere I can buy the Zenith DVB318? I've searched all day to no avail. There's got to be somewhere that has it, right?

Or should I just go with the Oppo 970? (It does send the signal out over the component cables, right?) If so, where's a good place to buy it?

Has anyone had good experiences with the NeuNeo/Helios HVD-2085? Should I stay away from it?

HELP!!

5. Dave H

Dave H Producer

The Oppo 970 will upconvert non-commerical or backup DVDs over component.

There is an (unauthorized) 970 firmware hack out there that will upscale commerical DVDs over component.

The 970 is probably better than the Zenith.

6. DavidMich

Where can I get a copy of the CD for this hack? Can anyone sell it to me?
    Also, where is a good place to buy the Oppo 970 at a low price?

7. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Oppodigital.com is probably a good place to order. [​IMG]

Check the AVS DVD player thread -- doing some searches and you'll find it. A Google search may even work.

8. Alan M

Alan M Second Unit

If you can find one on close out,the LG 511 upconverts via component also.The hack to do so is posted.

9. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Screenwriter

Chris Gerhard
    I have several inexpensive DVD players that upconvert all DVD's over component. I get tired of answering this question, may have answered it more than 30 times on various forums but I now prefer the LG DVB418 after being updated with a different LG player firmware, I believe the LG 513. It is discussed in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=dvb418

I think I purchased mine for about $60 refurbished. It also has HDMI and does play DVD-Audio. It uses the Faroudja FLI2310 so if macroblocking enhancement is a problem with your display, you will want something different. I have several others that would work if macroblocking enhancement is an issue.

Chris

10. DavidMich

My current display is a Pioneer Sd533HD5 53" RPTV. What type of macroblocking issues can I expect with this set?

11. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Screenwriter

Chris Gerhard

I don't know but the avsforum will likely have information regarding macroblocking with Faroudja based players and that set.

Chris