What's new

budget DVD player- quick suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Bayne

Agent
hey guys, i need a simple dvd player- aiming for budget here. I'm going to buy it at sears, as I have a gift card, so here are my choices:

Sony 1-Disc DVD Player with Progressive Scan
DVP-NS57P/B

Toshiba 1-Disc DVD Player with Progressive Scan, Black
SD-4000

JVC 1-Disc DVD Player, Black
XV-N350B

Phillips. Its at the store, but not on the web- it was 49.99...

I fully realize this is cheap stuff compared to the stuff you guys run, but if you had to have one, which would it be?

Thanks a ton!
jeff

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
If it were my money I'd go for Toshiba or Sony. As much as I like Philips (I have had EXCEPTIONALLY good experience with their customer service and own much of their gear - they are a first call manufacturer at this price point IMO), I have had trouble with a budget Philips DVD player with scrathy rental discs. Sony and Toshiba seem to handle rentals better.

ericks

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Erick
If I needed a "cheap" DVD player I'd probably buy a Toshiba HD-DVD player. I think the HD-A3 can be bought for just a bit over $100. I have an A2 (which I got for $99) which makes an excellent upscaling DVD player and has the side benefit of being able to play HD-DVDs:D .

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
The only problem with that is the speed. I'm looking for a cheap player for the kid's room, & since my wife & son will be the primary users, I'm not even considering the HD players simply because they are so slow to boot & load. In our main HT room, the slowness of the A2 isn't a big deal, but when you are trying to quick throw something in to appease a 3 yr old...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks