What's new

Budget DVD Player, CD/DVD-R, DVD-A, S/VCD, MP3, $100-150 (1 Viewer)

Morlan Liu

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

I'm looking for a good DVD player for around $100. I have a Sony Wega 27" and will soon be installing a Yamaha RX-V530 w/JBL NSP1 II's and a DLS 10.

I need to have support for CD-R/DVD-R and must play VCD, SVCD, and MP3's. DVD-Audio is a an extra.

I was looking at the Panasonic DVD-RP62 but from reading some forums discovered that it does not play SVCD's well.

I have good experience with Pioneer's, however, their current DV-353 and DV-354 have a glitch with the SVCD support if set to 4:3 TV, you must set to 16:9 TV to make SVCD work. Which one's better the DV-353 or DV-354?

Suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
My choice: Panasonic DVD-S35S/K.

It's not the absolute best player, but its picture quality is very good and it does support 480p component video output if you eventually intend to get a larger-size TV or projection TV that supports 480p inputs.

Brae

Supporting Actor
Ray, I am having a hard time finding information on the Panasonic DVD-S35S/K's ability to do DVD-A, which is something Morlan is also looking for. I'm not even sure that is a current model as I could not find it on their website, let alone on their list of DVD-A capable units.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Brae,

The DVD-S35 series does not play DVD Audio discs. :frowning:

However, the DVD-S55 (which should be reaching retailers any time now) will play DVD Audio discs. :)

Alan_M

Grip
The Pioneer dv-563a plays SACD AND DVD-A, as well as
the other run of formats (cd-r, and so on)

I got mine for 139.99 on ebay.

This dvd player has gotten rave reviews on this forum

Morlan Liu

Stunt Coordinator
Oh...I finally got a JVC XV-N40BK. Works pretty well. MP3 player could be better. DVD loading is FAST, like 4 seconds. It turned out to be like $80 with a $20 rebate.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Yes the XV-N40BK is a good bargain, you could have gotten it online for about $20 less though. It has the fastest loading of any model and supports well all of the recordable disc types even VCD and SVCD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks