Budget DVD/CD Changer?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steven Spargo, Jul 15, 2001.

1. Steven Spargo

I am considering the Sony DVP -C670D as an addition to my Ascend Acoustics and Onkyo DS 595.
    Before I purchase, and comments or recommendations on a changer in the below $400 arena?
    Thanks

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Steven, I bought a Sony DVP-C670D last August and have been very happy with it. It offers loads of features and an excellent remote. The picture quality is very good as well. Some people characterize Sony's picture as soft, but I have no issues with it whatsoever. Now, the one potential drawback if you are going to use the 'C670D as an audio component is that it doesn't play CD-Rs. I don't use it for music, so I could care less, but CD-R compatibility in a DVD player is a big issue for some. If CD-R compatibility is important to you, take a look at the Pioneer DV-C503 and DV-C603. Both sell for $300 or less. The 'C603 offers progressive scan video output. The Pioneer players have fewer features and lackluster remotes relative to the 'C670D, but they are excellent values. My girlfriend has the 'C503 and it is a great player for the price.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

3. Steven Spargo

Thanks for all that helpful information.
    Please, what is CD - R? Does not a DVD/CC player play both DVD and CD's?

4. JackJD

JackJD Stunt Coordinator

CD-R stands for Compact Disc Recordable... Not all players will play these discs. Most all of Pioneers' line-up play just about anything you throw at it (within reason). Have you thought about a Pioneer Mega-changer? 301 DVD/CD model F-727... about $450 - $500. Quite a machine for the dough...
    Check Dealtime.com Good luck! -JD