What's new

Budget DVD-A Players... suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Tyler DJW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tyler
I've been sampling the DD and DTS tracks on some DVD-A titles and have decided that I would like to get into the format. I'm finding it difficult to find DVD-A players though.

I would like to spend less that $500 and would prefer a "budget" player for now ($200-$300). Can you make any recommendations for what units to look into?

I would like to find something with Bass management and progressive-scan for DVD-V. I've seen the Toshiba 4800 but can't find any real specifics, and I also saw a great Yamaha 5-disc player with DCDi but it was part of a HTiB and I haven't found it on its own. Any help is appreciated. Online (authorized) and in-store are both options.

MichaelTa

Agent
The Pioneer DV-656A is a budget DVD-A player. I picked one up a couple of weeks ago as a first venture into DVD-A. It does have progressive scan and has 192kHz/24bits DAC's for audio. No bass managment per say but you can adjust the db levels in 5.1 or 2 channel adv resolution. When playing a DVD-A you get either 5.1 surround or 2 channel. DD and DTS are only there for DVD players or if you want to force DD and DTS it can be done through a menu. I am only playing my DVD-A's in the adv res mode now as the quality is much better compaired to the DD/DTS. This unit costs less then $200.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...,71365,00.html

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
http://www.6ave.com/product.jsp?x=DVDRA60S
I bought this Panasonic player, the DVDRA60S a few months ago, and 6ave still has it available for $117 plus shipping. It is not progressive scan but plays DVD-A discs very nicely. I am using it as a holdover model until there are better/cheaper combo players on the market. At this price it is really a no brainer to get into DVD-A.
If you are willing to go around 425 to 500, many people have gotten the Pioneer Elite 45a which does DVD-A and SACD. I am actually contemplating picking up this player for its SACD capabilities, but at this time I am only buying Hybrid SACD titles which interest me (not too many) due to my lack of SACD player as well as Sony's lack of Hybrid discs. Now if Sony announced they were going Hybrid on all future discs, I would probably buy this player today.
J

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Tyler, the Yamaha DVD-C6480 DVD-Audio changer is available on its own from Crutchfield for $400 and through OneCall for $359.10. Check www.crutchfield.com and www.onecall.com for more information. Both are authorized dealers.
Few DVD-Audio players these days have bass management. Here are some models besides the Yamaha changer to consider in your price range:
* Denon DVD-1600
* Panasonic DVD-RA60
* Panasonic DVD-RP82
* Panasonic DVD-RP91
* Panasonic DVD-CP72
* Pioneer DV-656A
* Pioneer Elite DV-45A (universal player)
Www.crutchfield.com has information on most of these players. As Justin said, check www.6ave.com for more on the Panasonic 'RA60. Also, check www.pioneerelectronics.com for more on the Pioneer Elite '45A. Finally, do a search on the Audio/Video Sources board, as these players have been discussed. Some of them have been discussed extensively.
Best of luck in your search.

Tyler DJW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tyler
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Nobody mentioned the Toshiba 4800 which I am curious about ($200). I haven't owned a Toshiba DVD player before but they seem to have a very good reputation. Does anyone have any personal experience with this player?

Mark Klaus

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up a JVC XV-SA90BK from Vann's for $200 shipped - great price for 7 disc changer, prog. scan, DVD-A, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks