What's new

Budget Consious Appartment Dweller Looking for Help and Opinions (1 Viewer)

DudeGuru

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason Williams
So still waitning for my tax return but I had a couple additional questions if you don't mind. I'm not aware what kind of connections are on the Onkyo HT-S7409 and included speakers. Can I use banana plugs? Are they different types on the speakers and reciever? I'd like to use the ones that thread through the ends rather than through the sides. Can you point me in the right direction? Also, I won't be using the included speaker wire because it's too thin and short. Would somthing like this be okay RCA AH14100SN 100 Ft. 14-Gauge Speaker Wire? Is there anything additional I should look at buying for installation or other? Thanks again.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
You can use banana plug on the receiver but not the speakers. They use the older spring-type connectors. I'd just use bare wire on the speakers. They also make a connector called a Pin connectors (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040115&p_id=5973&seq=1&format=2) but they offer very little contact area and they break off at the tip fairly easily. Pretty much any 12-16 gauge wire will work. Even the stuff at the home improvement store. I'm still using some wire I bought in the automotive dept at Walmart several years ago. If you're going to run wire through the walls or between floors then you need to use CL2 or CL-3 wire to satisry Fire codes. It has a low-burn-rate outer shield on it. http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023902&p_id=2819&seq=1&format=2 And of course, avoid the expensive name-brand stuff. Monoprice.com PartsExpress.com and BluJeancables.com are the often recommended for wire/cables/connectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks