Budget choice - Kenwood HTIB or HTD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Maneesh, Nov 22, 2001.

1. Maneesh

Maneesh Stunt Coordinator

I was planning on getting a Paradigm setup, but am having financial difficulties which means $400 or so is all I'll have for at least the next 6 months, and I'd rather have a HT, any HT, now [​IMG]
    Right now its a choice between Kenwood HTB-504, pretty much the consensus for a HTiB, or the VR-507 reciever + HTD Level One speaker set. Both will end up costing the same, and the goal of both paths is the same - keep the reciever, upgrade speakers later. Kenwood seems to have higher specs (bigger drivers, more powerful sub).
    Any comparisions would be most helpful. I guess I'll be pretty happy with either and since both have generous return policies, I could try both, but I want to avoid the mix and match game (someone is going to say that that's half the fun of this hobby [​IMG]).

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving everyone !!! The turkey awaits [​IMG]

2. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

I'd go with the HTD - 1 set and the seperate receiver. I had a Kenwood HTB and wasn't impressed with the speakers. The center is the same as the surround with a wider box and will not do for Dolby Digital or DTS. The surrounds are adequate for Pro-logic but will get the pants beaten off of them when you use any rear-active Dolby Digital material.

3. Maneesh

Maneesh Stunt Coordinator

William,

The center speaker in the HTB-504 seems to be the same as the fronts - 2 woofers + tweeter. The surrounds only have a single full range driver. The HTD Level 1's have a 3" woofer and plastic enclosures while Kenwood speakers look like MDF. Just wanted to clarify.