What's new

budget center channel (1 Viewer)

John.Bryson

Auditioning
I searched and found some nice ones that were recommended in the past, but most are discontinued and aren't available. Can you recommend me a decent one for under $100?

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I was able to find a wharfedale centre on ubid for about $50. It's not the greatest centre around, but it's pretty good. The particular model I got retailed for about $200 I believe.

Brian_Fly

Stunt Coordinator

I agree, but if that's not possible, the bic america DV62CLR-S is supposed to be decent. Currently it has been rated 4.87/5 based on 78 reviews at audioreview.com. Many have opted to get them modified by EFE technologies, but even without the mod I suspect it is a good deal. It should cost about $100. Happy hunting.

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Fluance AV-SC. Surprisingly good for less than 100 smackers. Good build quality, fairly heavy. Neutral to slightly bright in my opinion. Fluance makes decent gear, especially for the money.

Brian_Fly

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't heard the fluance or the Bic America center, but here is what I can gather from each speaker's respective website (and some info from sellers):

Fluance: 1" tweeter, dual 5" midranges, response- 70-20KHz, 88dB sensitivity, 13.7 lbs, 20 x 7.5 x 8.3"

Bic America: 3/4" tweeter, dual 6.5" midranges, response- 38-20KHz, 90dB sensitivity, 20lbs, 25 x 7.75 x 12"

For the negligible difference in price, I'd probably go with the DV62CLR

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Brian,

Consider that center speakers have to work over-time when it comes to movies performance. Personally, I'd opt for the speaker with the larger drivers. However, do keep in mind, that a lot of the frequency response hedges on the receiver that you currently have in use.

If your receiver does not permit you to adjust the crossover point for the subwoofer, chances are, you won't be able to take advantage of the lower frequency extension provided by the BIC center channel.

David James

Stunt Coordinator
Cheapest center channel...run with a phantom center. I'm very pleased w/o a center, YMMV of course.

Brian_Fly

Stunt Coordinator

Wayne, Good point. I guess we are in agreement on which one we would choose between the two though. Since it would be impossible to go listen to either one, it'd be hard for me not to go for the one with the better reviews, better efficiency, better frequency coverage, larger drivers, and only a $10 price difference. We never did find out what John is using for his mains, but for $100, I guess beggers can't be choosers.

John,

Another center speaker to check out is the JBL S-Center II. I have this center speaker, and it is excellent for it's price range. These speakers have been discontinued, but you can find them used, and sometimes new at online stores. New they used to cost @ $250 each, but you can get them used close to your price range. Here is a link to a thread where someone has one for sale. S-Center II for sale

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks