1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Budget center channel

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Harold Wazzu, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

Well I went to Radio Shack to check out the one in my area since I just moved. Right now I have a very low budget 4.1 system and was looking for a center.

Well when I got there I was very surprised to see a nice RCA center channel speaker on clearance for $49.99! Here is an ebay auction selling one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=14992

I tried looking on Radio Shack's site and it's not listed, but here are the specs:

2 - 5" woofers
    1 - monopole tweeter
    55 Hz - 25kHz
    100W RMS
    14 lbs 5 oz

I was wondering if anyone else is as cheap as me and is using this center? I just did a test run with Gladiator and to me it sounded pretty good but I am not picky at all.

2. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Eh - if you're going uber budget, why not just save up till you have $200 and get a Fluance set?

3. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

Cuz I am happy with my fronts and surrounds and only needed a center. My current system is the epitimy (sp?) of the word "budget" but it's only until I can get something nicer.

Anyways, just thought someone else might have seen this at their radio shack as well.

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Well, since that Ebay auction is now @ $100, why not pick up all of the center channel speakers from your local Radio Shack store and hit Ebay with them?

Who knows, at a profit of $50 for each speaker (along with the marked-up shipping rates that Ebayers like to charge) - you might have enough for a whole new set of great speakers. [​IMG]

5. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

If you're still looking for a budget center I was in a similar situation about a year ago and I picked up a cheap Wharfedale center on Ubid for about $40-50. It sounds ok until I can make some upgrades, and I'd certainly pick it over the one from RS. I don't know if they still have them, but it's worth looking.

Seth

6. Ken.L

Ken.L Stunt Coordinator

Hey Seth,
    You didn't mention which Wharfedale's, the WH-2 or Diamond?
    I'm looking at getting the WH-2, so I could really use your input here.
    Thanks
    Ken

7. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Hi Ken:

The funny thing is I hadn't even heard of the company when I bought the speaker. I just needed a cheap centre. On the back of the speaker it says: Wharfedale Valdus Centre. I don't know if that helps or not as I can't give more information because I'm still not familiar with their lines of speakers.

Seth

8. Leigh_M

Leigh_M Stunt Coordinator

I can't comment on the RS center, since I haven't heard it. I will throw out the Infinity Entra as a great budget option. I've seen great prices on refurbished one on ebay (under $100). I've listened to this center and it's very nice for HT.

9. Ken.L

Ken.L Stunt Coordinator

Hi Seth,
    You sure got a great deal on your Valdus for $50. I think they sold for maybe $200 new maybe 4 years back. Wharfedale make some very high quality speakers from what I understand. That's why I'm shopping for some Diamond 8's now to upgrade my entry level package I got just less than a month ago.
    Ken