Budget allocation for 7.1 system

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Franky_W, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Franky_W

Franky_W Auditioning

I am planning to get a totally new system. The system would be for 60% Music and 40% HT.

The system would be:
    - A DVD player with SACD and DVD-A capability, progressive, component output
    - Reciever with 7.1 output
    - A pair of Front Speaker
    - A pair of Rear Speaker
    - A pair of surround speaker
    - A center speaker
    - A sub woofer
    - Cables and Interconnects

I understand getting best receiver with poor speakers is just a plain waste. So, I want to get a balance system.

I'm looking for advise on how do you allocate budget for such above system (in percentage) ?

thanks.

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

It also, IMO depends on your budget. What kind of budget are you looking at? With those demands, you'll probably be spending several thousand at least. I think the key is to get things that are generally comparable in quality, with no one product standing out as not good enough, or way over the top. And still remember, the speakers are probably the most important, and don't forget that the room is probably 2nd in importance if the rest is at least adequate. I would put the biggest money into speakers, then probably receiver, and lastly the player(although it will be more $$, since you want a solid universal player it seems). What will you be using for video? You don't need to spend much on cabling. Don't forget calibration too, it's not too much money for an SPL meter, and Avia/VE, and it's well worth it.

Also, see if you can get an SVS into your budget to boot. [​IMG]

3. Franky_W

Franky_W Auditioning

Thanks Chris.

My budget is around US$4000.
    I am looking at Denon or Pioneer as the receiver and DVD player.
    As for Speakers, what kind of price range should I look for front, rear, center and surround?
    On the sub, I dont think I can get SVS there in Australia. yeah, I'm migrating there soon.
    Calibration tools doesn't cost much right? I can add extra budget for this.

I read on some other thread that cable could take about 10% of the budget. Should I put 10% of my budget for cabling ? or it can go lower ?

4. HienD

HienD Stunt Coordinator

Most people here recommend 10% or less for cables/interconnects. Cables probably make the least amount of difference. Nothing wrong with going with less assuming your not buying $2 loonie store cables. IMO, anything more then that is a waste of money.

5. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

With speakers, try to keep them all the same brand (and series) to prevent tonal mismatches. With components however, mix and matching makes no real difference. With a budget of 4 grand, you should be able to do fairly well for yourself. There is a dazzling array of stuff out there, so go out, have some fun, shop some, listen to as many different setups as you can, do some research, figure out what you don't like and like (this especially with regards to speakers, take familiar music with you when you go shopping). Then, come back here, post results, and we'll be able to help you along. There's no formula for spending, since what you like may tip the scale in either direction. Here's how I'd go at it:

Since your emphasis is on music, find a nice set of stereo speakers as your mains (Energy Conoisseur, Paradigm Monitor come to mind, but there are an awful lot of them out there). Chances are that when you find a good speaker for music, you'll find one for HT, since the mains get most of the soundtrack of the movie. As well, the series you decide on will probably have a more than capable centre channel to carry the dialogue in movies. The rears are less important, but if you're listening to multichannel music, they'll have to be somewhat capable. Some smaller bookshelves in the same series as your mains would probably be a good bet. Then choose electronics to match. The receiver should complement the speakers (i.e. Yamaha and Klipsch = bad bet, both are bright sounding and will combine to drive you up the wall), and in terms of sources, I'd suggest looking into a Denon 2200 or 2900 (depending on finances), since they are probably the best budget universal players out there for audio and video performance.

Once you narrow it down, give us a shout!

6. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

No suggestion on dollar value, but regarding anything that needs to be plugged in -- check to make sure that you'll be able to use it in Australia if indeed you wish to take it all with you.