What's new

Budget 6.1 receiver? (1 Viewer)

Mark Ro

Agent
I'm looking at the pioneer vsxd811s, Onkyo tsr600, and Yamaha 5560. The prices are all within $100.00 of each other so price isn't a factor between these three. I was hoping to get some input from people who currently own these models, especially the pioneer.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Mark,

I can't speak for the other models you list, but I've had my Pioneer 811 for almost a month and I'm very happy with it. TONS of nice features, and expandable as well.

Plenty of inputs/ bells and whistles for the average home theater buff.

Considering it's available for under $300 (plus shipping) online, I'd say it's a great choice.

Alfer

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
Haven't owned any of them, but the Pioneer seems like its getting the most positive reviews. Nothing but praise for the Pioneer. All the forums I check out I always hear about the Pioneer. So I am sure its no brainer to get the Pioneer.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Mark, you can do a search for "budget receiver" and you'll see numerous threads from the past few months. That may aid in your decision.

I own the Pioneer VSX-D811S and, like Alf, have not had any problems with it and for movies it sounds great. It also sounds fairly decent with 2 channel music too.

my guess is you'd probably be happy with any of the 3 choices depending on what type of speakers you have. You may also want to look at the Marantz SR5200 - same price range, similar features. You may want to go listen to them if you can or buy one and give it a test drive.

good luck,

--tom

JerryW

Supporting Actor
For mostly HT I'd go with the Pioneer as it's pretty highly regarded for that use. For music you might want to consider a different maker and model. The key word is might. Go out and demo it somewhere and see what you think.

Ches Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
I would get the Yamaha becasue I have had the RX-V520 for a while and love it. I have heard great things about Pioneer, but I am a fan of Yamaha sound and they have probably the best reliability of anything in that price range. They also have the cinema DSPs which are actually really cool. Just get whatever you want to.
Later

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I had the Onkyo TXSR600 and returned it because of some problems with it.
I did like it overall....just wasnt functioning right with some of my dvd's and when I watched "The Others" my speakers made a loud pop....thought they blew.
I just picked up the Pioneer VSX-811.
If you like the Onkyo you can get it for 399.95 from circuit city. I still have a copy of my receipt.
Someone sent me theres from new jersey and I live in Wisconsin and they matched the price.
I have not been able to play with the pioneer too much yet.
It does have some things that the Onkyo doesn't have....Listen to them before you buy. ALso all recievers are going to sound different from in store compared to home.
Speakers running, and setup.
Do the 30 day thing...ifyou don't like it return it like I did with the Onkyo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks