Budget 5.1 setup: looking for comments/suggestions

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Nate Schutz, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Nate Schutz

Nate Schutz Auditioning

Hi. I'm very new to the world of home audio, and I'm looking to put together a 5.1 system on a shoestring budget (college student). I had originally planned to spend about $500, but the reading I've done suggests I would be very unsatisfied with anything I could cobble together for that price. After a solid weekend of research, I have expanded my budget significantly and come up with this as a starting point:

Yamaha HTR-5550: $229.95
    JBL S26II x 4: $299.76
    Yamaha YST-SW320 (refurb): $236.41

Those prices are all delivered to my door. I would eventually add a JBL SCENTERII unless I found myself very satisfied with that 4.1 system.

I don't watch a lot of movies, so this system will be primarily used for music listening with some surround gaming. I'm pretty picky about my music, so that should be the emphasis. I mostly include matched surround speakers above because I found a great price on them (and in case I decide to start watching movies on this system).

So now that all that's out of the way, I have some questions:

I really like the look of the Rocket ELT system, and people around here seem to regard it pretty highly. Would it be worth saving an extra $500 and waiting an extra 3 or 4 months to pick that up, maybe with a bit better receiver? I could probably afford (at least in the very strictest sense of the word) to do that, but I would rather not unless it's going to sound a lot better.

And what about the Rocket ELT sub? Would an extra $150 or so be worth it to pick that up over SW320 (again, remembering I'm primarily a music listener)?
    If I do decide to go with the SW320, what kind of cabling should I pick up to get the most out of it? I've read it can be pretty sluggish for music with poor cables.

Finally, I welcome general comments on this system and suggestions on different components within the same or very similar budget.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. From a couple days' reading, I can see this is a friendly and otherwise excellent community. [​IMG]

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Nate, I’ve only heard the ELTs by themselves, so my comments should not be taken as though I had done a true A/B comparison. I have not heard either the ELTs or the JBL S26s in very good conditions, so there is another caution.

If you were interested in HT, I would have no hesitation recommending the ELTs, because their center speaker is quite a bit better (IMO) than the JBL S-Center at reproducing dialogue.

In my opinion the ELT sub is a better value than the Yamaha.

I think that both the S26s and ELTs should have a sub, even for music.

If it were me, I’d go with the ELTs even for a primarily music application. But it is easy for me to spend your money. One thing I might mention (nothing to do with sound) is that I don’t like the look of black box speakers. The cabinetwork of the ELTs is really quite nice.

For music you might consider a pair of the ELT satellites and the ELT sub. The surrounds are (for you) only important for gaming, so I’d not worry until I had the money. You can order the ELTs and return if you are not satisfied (you would be out the shipping).

But I also think that you would be happy with the JBLs.

3. Nate Schutz

Nate Schutz Auditioning

Yeah, the ELTs are absolutely gorgeous, aren't they? My pragmatism is at all-out war with my aestheticism [​IMG]

4. Nate Schutz

Nate Schutz Auditioning

It turns out I couldn't pass up the new ELT + receiver package they have going now. Guess I'll be working lots of extra hours in the coming months to make up the $800 I went over my original budget [​IMG]

Thanks for the advice, Lew!

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Nate, I have just been resisting posting this:

“The only purchases we regret are the ones we don’t make” [​IMG]

But again, I did not want to spend your money. [​IMG]

I was really impressed with these and I know you will be too. (And if you care about how they look, this will be just a big bonus—they are by far the best looking in this price range, I’ve seen).

6. Nate Schutz

Nate Schutz Auditioning

Oh, I agree. I've been drooling over B&Ws I couldn't possibly afford from time to time during my research for just that reason: they're absolutely beautiful. When I saw first saw the Rockets, I was blown away by the looks. They'll probably be the prettiest things I own.

7. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

If your going to do alot of Home Theater I would say Klipsch is also a good company. I am sure you can also find a decent setup from them for just a little more.

Also for the reciever I would have to recommend the Harman/Kardon AVR-125. Yeah it misses some of the features and costs just a little bit more but you will get a much better amplifier inside as well as just sherr components.

8. Nate Schutz

Nate Schutz Auditioning

Actually Chris, I'm getting a Denon AVR-1804 to go with the Rocket system, so I think I'm pretty well set on the receiver end of things [​IMG]

9. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Enjoy the system, hope you like it. [​IMG]

10. Anthony*B

Anthony*B Stunt Coordinator

my advice (some from personal experience, others from just research)

refurb Onkyo - 100$ (dont know much about it)
    Fluance 5 speaker (SX-HTB - got 'em, adore 'em [​IMG]-300$ (I think)
    that new Dayton 10' sub over at PartsExpress - 125$ (heard great things so far

525$ & I'll bet you'll be shocked at how great it sounds [​IMG]