Budget=$3000, what would you get?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ErickM, Mar 20, 2003.

1. ErickM

ErickM Auditioning

Seeming that I have a distrust for the sale reps at electronic stores (there is a reason, but it's a long long story), I figured I would ask my very important question here. :)

Well, my wife finally nagged me enough to buy a house, that I finally did, and will be closing next week (3/28). I did have a condition for her though....that I would be able to build a home theater (at a budget), like I want to...and that I could buy whatever TV I wanted in the $3000 price range. Well,...actually..that's the budget I'm working with...$3000. Seems like there are a lot of choices out there when dealing with this price range. ...and features of all kinds. Getting kind of overwhelming. So I figured I might be able to save me some time, and sanity if I just asked here. So here is the question....

"If someone gave you $3000 to buy a Widescreen HDTV, which one would you get and why?"

I presented this question to a Best Buy representative, and they suggested the following model:

http://www.bestbuy.com/Detail.asp?m...cat=&e=11124615
    Here is the same one from the official Toshiba site:
    http://www.toshiba.com/tacp/tv/current/65H82.html

Is this a good choice? Should I consider something else? Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks!!

2. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

That's a great choice for a tv. But me personally I would get a FP, especially since your buying a house with a dedcated room. If I knew then what I know now, even before I bought my house with a dedicated room, I would have still bought a FP.

It's just the way to go man, I plan on having one very soon. And a 3 grand budget would be perfect. I'd get the new Panny PT-l300u for $1899 then a nice screen for $1000. Or just build a screen for much cheaper. Have change left over and buy some dvds.[​IMG]

3. sean_pecor

sean_pecor Stunt Coordinator

I'm not yet convinced you can get the same picture quality, versatility, equipment life and ease-of-use out of a $3,000 front projector, comparing them against the current crop of RPTV units near the $3,000 price target. If you need to go bigger than 65" for less than $3,000, then a front projector is your only choice. But if 57-65" suits your room, then I'd recommend sticking with RPTV.

With that said, there was recently a favorable review of the "PLUS Piano Avanti HE-3200 DLP Projector":

http://www.hometheatermag.com/showarchives.cgi?155

While this one only does 848x480 resolution in widescreen, you may not be able to tell the difference. If your budget was $10,000 then I think it would be a different story. Many of the $10k front projection units like those offered by Marantz kick some serious butt.

Anyways, back to your question. If was going to spend $3,000 on a new RPTV then I'd consider (in this order):

- Mitsubishi WS-65311 for $2,799 at Sears. This unit has firewire input, which is good if your digital camera equipment has firewire outputs (as mine do). You're probably not buying right now, but I believe Sears is running a special currently; they're throwing in a progressive DVD player at no charge.

- Toshiba 65HDX82 for around $2,999 online. DO NOT get the 65H82 from Best Buy, when you can get the newer model for around the same price. The new HDX unit offers a number of improvements that you'd definitely notice if you sat them side-by-side.

- Hitachi 57SWX20B for $2,999 at Sears. Consider this unit if you need DVI.

Sean.

4. Alan M

Alan M Second Unit

Eric,
    I own the 65h82 that bb recommended,and am extremely pleased with the set.The picture on directv is good due to toshiba's excellent display modes. dvd's and hd are absolutely stunning.
    I do think you might find a better price by doing a little shopping.If there is a fry's electronics (know theres 1 in phoenix),their price was much lower on this same set.
    Good luck and happy shopping.

5. Gordon Groff

Gordon Groff Second Unit

On the same budget, I'm going with a Sony HS10 (apprx 2.5K) front projector system and have already installed a very nice dalite in-ceiling screen (106" diag- 92" wide) bought new for under $500.[​IMG]

The audio is another matter, though. Looks like I need to drop about $5k for that.[​IMG]

Quite an adventure!!

Gordon

6. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

Gordon, where did you get the screen from?

I'm leaning towards the Panny PT-L300U, but have no idea which screen to get.

7. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

For less than $2000 I've decided to go with the Panny 300U and build a 90" diagonal screen for less than $100.

Thank God that 57TWX20B I ordered didn't fit through the stairs to the basement! What a huge mistake I was about to make!

8. JasonGarrett

JasonGarrett Agent

I had $3000 to spend on a TV, and I got the Sony HS10 front projector ($2600) and a 106" diagonal Da-Lite High Contrast Matte White manual pull-down screen ($400).

9. Gordon Groff

Gordon Groff Second Unit

10. Gordon Groff

Gordon Groff Second Unit

11. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

Thanks Gordon.
    Now that I think about it, an in-ceiling mounted screen wouldn't work for me. The studs are running in the wrong direction, and my ceiling is also vaulted. It's a bit too high up.

I'm sure the wait is killing you! At least you're doing everything right the first time though.

12. Gordon Groff

Gordon Groff Second Unit

13. Mike Puett

Mike Puett Extra

If you're looking for a real "theater-like" experience and watch a lot of dvds, than I'd definitely go with an FP. IMHO, a big screen TV does not a home theater make! There are a number of ways to cut costs and assemble a decent theater for $3k. I put together a system with the following components on a very tight budget that we're very happy with and has a lot of bang for the buck:

Sony VPL W400Q projector ~ $1000 used
    Marantz SR7000 receiver ~ $350 used
    Klipsch Ref 3 speakers ~ $1800 new
    Velodyne CHT 150 sub ~ $400 used

I bought almost everything via ebay or classifieds and haven't had any problems. Absolutely best projector for the price but you need total control of ambient light (a dark room). We project an 96x54 inch screen and it's great! Now, I can easily upgrade component by component as my budget allows or as I see necessary. Can't beat it for the money though and a good place to start.

Just my two cents.

14. ErickM

ErickM Auditioning

Holy Jebus! Came back from work to see a lot of responses here and in the DVDTalk forum. Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. To make this a little easier, I'm going to cut and paste some questions and responses I made at the other forum,...to give you all more detail on what is going on from my end, and why I want to go with a RPTV....

----------------------------------------------------------
    response to ckolchak:

15. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

From looking at the picture of your family room, it seems an RPTV is a good choice. Light control seems to be a big issue with that sliding door.

Of course, you always have the option of getting a front projector later on, for special occasion nightly viewing. [​IMG]

If you don't see the DLP color separation artifacts, an Infocus X1 projector (800x600, 2x color wheel) would be a good starter projector. Mate that with an inexpensive pulldown screen, and you can have the best of both worlds: RPTV for regular cable/broadcast viewing, and the FPTV for the cinematic movie experience!

People also speak highly of the Sanyo (or is it sharp? I could never remember) Z1 LCD projector. The Sony HS10 is popular, as well as the Panasonic 300U, which are also LCD projectors.

I've read negative reviews of the Plus Piano HE3200 though. There are serious motion artifact issues with that projector, apparently. As reported by many of the owners on www.avsforum.com . I would stay away from that projector, especially when you consider many other quality projectors at the same pricepoint.

16. ErickM

ErickM Auditioning

Thanks Max,
    The lighting won't be an issue. The patio is covered, and the way the sun hits the house, works out quite well in that neighborhood. The whole house is equiped with Lutron (www.lutron.com)lighting, so it really gives it a theater type feeling. It would be nice if I could do FPTV & projector, but the budget will not allow it. I only have $3k (give or take a hundred) to play with on the TV. This TV will become our regular viewing television, so that is why I want to get away from projectors, cause I really don't know how well it could handle hours of constant viewing. Could it?

I'm going to keep posting pictures of this house soon, cause I want to show how everything is going. The family room, and my den is being made to have sort of a "Movie Museam" quality to it. I'm going to show off different movie props, posters, lobby cards, signed celebrity pictures...etc etc. I'll make sure to post those when I get them up. You see that lighted alcove on the wall? It has a reseased light point from the top. Looking for a good prop to put in there. I'm leaning towards getting a replica of the Gladiator helmet from www.factoryx.com (http://www.factoryx.com/gladiator.html), still depating that, but should be interesting. :)

17. Glenn

Glenn Stunt Coordinator

Hi Eric,

>>"If someone gave you $3000 to buy a Widescreen HDTV, which one would you get and why?"

The Toshiba rear screen projectors are nice but I would suggest that you also look at the Pioneer SD-643HD5. It is a 64 inch HDTV. The retail pricing is above your $3000 linit but it can be bought for less. Costco is selling this set for $2399, if you have a Costco near you. Not the best place to actually view any tv set but a great price indeed. Actually the Costco near me had a slightly damaged one for $1999 but I would not buy one as is even though it has the one year warranty.

I bought the SD-643HD5's little brother, the SD-533HD5. It is a 53 inch model and is a better fit for my room. The 64 was a little to big for my family room.

Good luck,
    Glenn

18. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Wow I like your decorating ideas Eric. [​IMG]

With an LCD or DLP projector, there is no chance of screen burnin. But, most digital projectors have a bulb life of 1500-2000 hours, with a bulb replacement cost around $300-500 US. Not cheap, and with those costs you probably don't want to watch 3 hours of TV every night with one!

Still, in a few years this should improve, and by then you can upgrade. [​IMG]

19. ErickM

ErickM Auditioning

Glen,
    Thanks for the recommendation. I might have to go to Costco tomorrow and see if they have that model available. I'm not also thinking of getting a new DVD player, since I was made aware that my current one does not have progressive scan. Going with a Malata 520, since I do want to buy some Region 2 music DVDs I've had my eyes on for a while. That model should help out.

Max Leung,...
    Thanks for the compliment on the idea. Yeah, I'm pretty psyched up on getting this puppy rolling. Been doing a lot of research. I even found a guy who used to make props for Hollywood and said he might be able to do some movie replicas if I needed them. Anything from Raiders/Indiana Jones, Star Wars,..whatever. I might have to take him up on that.
    As for the info on the projectors and regular TV viewing,...that what I thought. I definitely wouldn't want to keep changing does bulbs for that price. [​IMG] So it looks like a projector is out of the question for now.