Budget 2.1 channel setup

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by kyutaek, Jan 23, 2004.

1. kyutaek

kyutaek Agent

I have Sony 36' HS510 HD ready Tube TV and Onkyo SR701. I will try to establish 2.1 channel first, and then add other surrounds later. What would you recommend for the initial 2.1 setup? My room size is 16x16. I will be more concerned about sound quality (from music CD or DVD) (about 60~70%) than surround effect (from DVD). I would also prefer a widely known name brand (rather than hidden pearl) which allows me to sell it easier with good value.
    I don't mind either tower size or bookshelf size (what are the pros and cons of each?). I would like to set it up under $500. By the way, would it (the budget) not enough to have my receiver fully perform?

2. Benihana

Benihana Stunt Coordinator

The difference between floorstanders and bookshelves is that floorstanders don't need stands, which is about $50 right there, they will usually have lower extended bass compared to its bookshelf counerpart, and will sometimes have a bigger sound. Bookshelves have a smaller baffle and are made to sound best in the mid to high frequencies while having decent to little bass and bass extension. I would take a $300 bookshelf over a $300 floorstander speaker. $500 should get your started up pretty good, this is what i would suggest. Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 for the mains @ $328 a pair, and a Dayton DLS 10" subwoofer from parts express for $130, sometimes on sale for $89. Or you can stretch your budget a bit and get a Sony SA-wx700, wonderful music performer and good HT performance, an accurate sub overall. Should be $189 on most online websites. But usually better choices are made if you actually listen to them before you buy. I would also check out Epos bookshelf speakers, they came out with a $300 bookshelf pair that had a great review at http://www.stereophile.com/loudspeakerreviews/104epos/ . You can find a dealer from www.musichallaudio.com. Goodluck

3. kyutaek

kyutaek Agent

Thanks for useful information. I got some further questions: considering the nature of the house structure (I am living at a townhome where the next unit is attached to mine), do I still need full 12" subwoofer? I knew that subwoofer is an important element for buliding home theater
    for better bass sound. But how about center channel speaker? One of my friend told me that I would need center channel, rather than woofer because I only use it minimally due to the living condition and personal preference (I am not a big fan to listen music/sound in a high volume). Please advise(and/or correct) my opinion in this regard. Also, it would be great if you recommend any good center channel (matching 2 front speakers) around $500 or under (combined price with main speakers.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

look at paradigm for very good, and easily found/auditioned entry speakers.

As for center or sub, it depends on your preferences. If you can get a good triangle setup of your mains, they should achieve good center imaging, in which case I might be tempted to go for a sub instead. Depends on your situation and preferences of course.