What's new

Buck Rogers in the 21st Century (1 Viewer)

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy
Buck is coming to DVD!!!????
YES!!
I don't mind cheese, at least it better to me than the sci-fi we have these days. Well, more fun anyway. :D
If the show was one and half seasons then maybe they will just goes ahead and include both seasons in one set.
But, they'll probably try to squeeze every last dollar out of us.

Now if someone would release these other series in season box sets
Incredible Hulk
SMDM and BW
Amazing Spider-Man
Powers of Matthew Starr
Mr. Merlin
Automan and Manimal
and the Filmation series
Jason of Star Command, Space Academy and Ark II
Isis and Shazam and maybe the Logan's Run series and Man From Atlantis
then I'll be set on the sci-fi front, see told ya I like cheese! :)

"Get out your cards and backgammon boards, lucky Buck is back!"

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy

Thanks for the links David!
I saw the BW story and a few small scans but missed that full page story!

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
IMO between Erin Gray..

..and Galactica's Maren Jensen..

..there wasn't a pair of more beautiful women on TV at the time (yes that includes Charlie's Angels).

Robert DH

Auditioning
Here's a thought... maybe the first season could be released on its own, and the second, short season, could have both versions of the pilot added. Face it, no one will be buying the second season separately unless *something* like this is done...

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

i'd like to have the pilots/theatrical movie as well, but i would easily purchase the second season sans anything else.

i've always thought the second season was vastly more interesting than the first.

Stephane

Stunt Coordinator
I have to dig up my old Beta tapes of Buck and go throught them now. I may have the entire collection on there actually. Always been a big Sci-Fi fan. Unfortunatly I did not have a Beta or VHS to tape Isis or Ark II, but I do remember them both. And even though I do not rememeber any of the story lines of any episode I would still by them. I think that part of my passion for Egypt actually came from seeing Isis. I can never get enough information on the digs going on now.

Great pic by the way guy's.

Dewitte

Stunt Coordinator
Joesph DeMartino wrote in Post #28:

You're probably thinking of "Vegas in Space," but Ardala was nowhere to be found in that episode. The female lead in that episode was a character named Major Marla Landers, played by one of the finalist actresses for the part of Wilma Deering. I wish I could remember her name, but I heard she died a while back.

De

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
5. Vegas in Space
guest stars: Richard Lynch (Velosi) Ana Alicia (Falina) Juanin Clay (Marla Landers) Pamela Susan Shoop (Tangie) James Luisi (Hood) Cesar Romero (Armat) Joseph Wiseman (Morphus) Alice Frost (Rita) Ted Chapman (Man)

as far as the "second season sucks" sentiments
here are two typical plotlines for the second season

i'll probably still pick up the first season, but most of the episodes were simple minded and cheesy as hell.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Thanks for pointing out those episodes Paul. I do remember S2 as being more interesting. But the best one of that season is probably the one where the dwarves tried to undress Wilma telekinetically :)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

I don't know. I do think, however, that the pilot should be the longest version possible, which I think is the TV version. Also, I feel they should include any/all scenes that were deleted from the pilot. There are at least two scenes with King Draco that were filmed but never used (one short scene was used at the end of the theatrical version, though) that should be included as supplements, if not edited back in.

Hopefully, like Galactica, there will be more unused footage from many more of the episodes.

I, personally, would prefer a complete boxset, because like most people, I'm afraid Universal won't release the short second season on its own. Not necesarily because it's short, but because it, like Galactica 1980 is generally reviled by fans.

I don't suppose a G: 80/Buck Season 2 combined release could ever happen, unfortunately.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Juanin Clay. She was also in "War Games", was a regular on "Edge of Night" and mostly did other guest work.

She died in 1995 of heart disease. She was only 45.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

You can just as easily prove that the first season is "better" if you pick different typical examples. For instance:

First season
"Flight of the War Witch" - Buck journeys through a space warp into another universe, where he discovers that the peaceful planet Pendar is being threatened by the sinister war witch Zarina. The Pendarans enlist the aid of Buck and Princess Ardala, who had followed Buck through the space warp, and an unsteady alliance between the humans and Draconians is formed as Buck leads a combined fleet against Zarina's battlecruiser.

Second season
"The Golden Man" - The Searcher rescues a gold-skinned boy from an escape capsule in an asteroid field. When the ship collides with one of the asteroids, the boy assures the crew of the Searcher that, with the help of his companion, who is on a nearby planet, he can dislodge the ship from the asteroid. But when Buck and Hawk go to the planet to get the companion, they find that he is being held captive by a man who wants to use the boy's powers for his own greedy purposes.

My point is that both seasons had a pretty good amount of good and bad storylines. There's a lot of bad in "The Golden Man" and the one with the Dwarves, for instance. The reason it's easier to cite more first season examples is that the season was twice as long.

Also, one problem is that you mention the merits of second season plotlines. True, several of the storylines sound good (a great many of them are stolen from other series, like the Bringers of Wonder episode of Space: 1999). The problem is that many of these storylines are let down in the actual execution, by a tight budget, high school-level acting and some casting mistakes.

As a kid, I have to be honest: I preferred the second season, but after seeing the episodes again as an adult, I find the first season vastly more entertaining: yes, most of the episodes are cheesy, but they're played with an almost knowing sense of fun, sort of like the audience is "in" on the joke. It's good, campy fun. I don't think one could really say the same about the second season: they tried to do straight drama, but unfortunately, didn't have the resources necessary to pull it off.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Actually I was making a joke based on Ardala's rather Showgirls outfit in the pics I found. I had no idea that there was such an episode. :)

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks