Buccaneers hire Jon Gruden!!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by William Ward, Feb 18, 2002.

1. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

Color this Buc fan happy.... [​IMG] !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I would have been OK with Mariucci but am ecstatic with Gruden....
    BTW, don't have a link, but it should be all over ESPN.com, CNNsi.com, CBS Sportsline, etc...

2. Mark Schermerhorn

Mark Schermerhorn Second Unit

I'm suprised Gruden would go for the bucs. Given the fact that they have serious cap problems and basically have to go back to rebuilding mode, I'm suprised a pretty high profile coach like Gruden would take that on. Of course, they may have given him, uh, a few bucks.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Wow, that is big NFL news. I didn't think Gruden would leave the Raiders, especially not for the Bucs, does Grudin have roots in the Tampa area?

4. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    A surprise for sure! I assumed that the deal for Steve Mariucci was done and that the only thing left was formally announcing the trade.

I'm not a Raiders fan, but if I were, I would pretty upset that such a fine coach is no longer a part of the organization. I lost a lot of respect for the Buccaneers the way they ousted a solid coach in Tony Dungy, but what's even worse is that the Bucs started negotiations with Parcells before Dungy was fired.

The compensation package to get Gruden will not be announced until Wednesday, so I suppose it could be a sweetheart deal for the Raiders.

I'm happy that the 49ers are going to retain Mariucci. I'm a fan of the Mooch and I can't understand why SF wants to get rid of him.

5. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

I agree Tom that the Bucs should have handled the Dungy firing better. I'm not saying he shouldn't have been fired, but it shouldn't have been leaked that he had to win the SB in order to keep that from happening. Also, the late night press release wasn't a good thing either...

In my opinion, when your methods aren't conducive to winning play-off games, you need to change. Dungy would NOT change. This is why he was fired. I hope for Indy's sake, that he's learned his lesson and will leave the offense to Tom Moore.

6. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

You guys gave up two first and two second round draft picks to get a coach. God I hope you are good at managing the cap because free agency will have to be very good to you if you want to acquire the talent needed to win a title. Good luck!

7. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    As a long-time Raiders fan since the old AFL days, I will refrain from commenting on whether Jon Gruden's leaving is good or bad for the Raiders until the exact amount of compensation that the Raiders will receive is announced as well as who will be the new Raiders coach. Over the last two playoff seasons, I've become very disenchanted with Gruden's conservative play calling. I believed his conservative style sucked the life out of the Raider offense which really caused them the New England game, moreso, even than the controversial Brady fumble. Furthermore, Gruden's attempt to "Bogart" that old cutthroat himself Al Davis into a contract extension actually was pretty funny and probably cost the Bucs more in the terms of compensation for Gruden's services.

Crawdaddy

8. Shayne Judge

Shayne Judge Stunt Coordinator

"does Gruden have roots in the Tampa area?"

Yes, he and family have football roots in Tampa. His brother Jay coaches the Orlando Predator AFL team. Jay also played for the Tampa Bay Storm (AFL). Their father Jim was an assistant coach under John McKay at Tampa, although now he works for the Niners. Rumor is that Jon will make his brother an assistant in Bucland.

Jon Gruden was born in Sandusky Ohio, and I believe he has other family (mom?) in the Tampa area. I simply cannot confirm it.

As a Raider fan, I am actually rather happy with this transaction. If the draft picks are as rumored (two 1st and two 2nd), I believe the compensation is well worth it. Unfortunately Al Davis tramples talent at times with his will, and the picks given for a coach that would be gone after next year allows the Raiders to both drive for a Super Bowl next year, and re-stock with young talent.

9. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Second Unit

As a Raider fan I am absolutely ecstatic. The Raiders were going to lose Gruden after next year anyway (last year on his contract). To get 2 1st-round and 2 2nd-round picks, how can you do any better than that? Now if only we could trade Al Davis, whose best days are long behind him.

10. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Chuck is a Buc huh? I'm sure a lot of fans will miss Chucky.

You have to admit they did real well under Gruden though.

As a Chiefs fan, it would have been cool to get Gruden, AND get Gannon back as well!

11. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Although Gruden did call conservative game plans in the playoffs (and what person wouldn't reign it in a little bit?) I think people forget that the Raiders didn't even know what the playoffs were for about 15 years (not counting the Buffalo Massacre Year) before Gruden got there.

The package was pretty sweet for the Raiders, and they could hire another good coach to lessen the blame, but as a longtime Raider fan (and a sufferer during those 15 years) I am sad to see Jon go. He brought the Raiders back to respectability.

12. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

13. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    I caught Dennis Green on the Tony Bruno show this morning and he expressed that he is not interested in coaching the Raiders. He stated that Al Davis would never give him the control that he (Denny Green) wants to have over the team. I doubt he will be the guy, but you never know. He did say that Al Davis was "one of the best football minds ever (along with Bill Walsh)." Sounds like he's trying to stroke Davis' massive ego.

14. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    Re: Denny Green coming to Oakland, Al Davis never hires established head coaches, nor would he give up control over personnel matters which Green would want.

Rob

15. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

...was listening to KNBR this morning, and one thing mentioned was Davis is not the kind of owner who would hire a "total control" type coach like Green or Parcells. If either of those guys are hired by some team, they would be getting top dollar and lots of control. Davis is not that kind of owner....it just isnt a match.
    Its already been rumored the OC, uh, I think his name is Callahan or something like that, may take over the reigns for a year.
    I agree with Carlo and others, this is a good thing for the Raiders. Gruden was gone after next year anyway, so this way they get more first and second round draft picks to keep the team strong for a few more years. That is, unless they waste them on Darrell Russell types (a 2nd round pick I think).
    Here's hoping for a losing season for the Bucs (so the Raiders get a high draft pick) ! [​IMG]

16. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    The Gruden brothers went to high school in the area. Gruden's parents and brother both still live here. Jon even has a condo down here where he and his family stay for a month or two every summer, which happens to be down the street from the condo of the Bucs defensive coordinator.

And for Mark Schermerhorn, you are quite wrong abiut the Bucs and the salary cap. The Bucs are one of the teams in the best shape salary cap-wise, thanks to Rich McKay. Of course, if McKay goes, then I don't know what will happen, but the team is currently not in any cap trouble and won't be for the forseeable future unless they start making some really boneheaded expensive free agent signings or stupidly start cutting players that had large signing bonuses.

17. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

18. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I think the Bucs gave up way too much to get Gruden. The owners felt the need to save face after the fiascos with Parcells and Marvin Lewis, but two first round and two second round picks are too much.

I've been out of town for a few days. Has Tampa GM McKay resigned yet?

19. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

I wonder how people are taking it down in Florida ?

Do they think it was a good trade or they gave too much ? I agree with Scott. They gave up a lot for Gruden. Say what you will about Al Davis, the man is a shrewd football owner.

20. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

I'm guessing that right now they think it was a great deal.

If they stumble during the season it was the "stupidest move ever."