BTV picture quality

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Steve Weeks, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Steve Weeks

Steve Weeks Stunt Coordinator

When I record shows at the highest quality setting (~3GB/hour,) the quality is still pretty grainy. I notice this mostly while watching sporting events, but it is present in all my recordings.

I am using an ATI AIW video card for the video capture. Would a hardware encoding card, such as a Hauppauge, help with the picture quality?

2. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Short answer: not likely.

Try a better antenna first, but you have to understand that broadcast NTSC has its limits, and the broadcast NTSC you usually get does not come near pushing those limits. Signal/noise ratio, colour, resolution and so forth are rarely going to be much better than VHS; if you want to see how your card is really performing, try a high-quality analog source such as LaserDisc. Anyway, having used both the AIW and the tuner-compressor-only "eHome Wonder" [effectively the same as the Hauppage] I definitely recommend the former. My suggestion would be to try changing your CODEC and other settings, such as the "video soap" noise reducer, and see if that makes a difference.

3. Steve Weeks

Steve Weeks Stunt Coordinator

How would I change the CODEC or adjust the video soap?

4. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Try starting the "ATi Multimedia Center": open TV, go to "Setup" [the box with the check-mark in it at the bottom of the Control Panel], to the "Personal Video Recorder" tab, and hit "Map Preset" to get a list of available recording modes and options for making your own.