Bryston SP1.7 is out - I need some suggestions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Mohrmann, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Having waited nearly 2 months for the Bryston SP1.7 to be released (having sold our Lexicon MC-1 in early January), I find out today that my online source for the SP1.7 (offerred at $3200 delivered, much less than the planned $4300-4500 MSRP) has backed out. So, I am back in the audition game again for processors costing no more than $3200.

Here's my list of features I would like:

DD/DTS

DPL II

Flexible bass management (more than 1 fixed crossover)

2 channel analog bypass

5.1 analog bypass inputs

Minimum of 4 digital coax inputs

I would appreciate any suggestions you might have with respect to the features I have listed. Our main interest is music (75+%) over movies, although I would like DPL II for 2 channel movie sources (VHS,cable,DD2.0,etc.).

Thanks,

Michael

2. Michael Mohrmann

Oh great!

I just read my own title to this thread. It almost sounds like I am saying that the Bryston SP1.7 has been released. It has not! What I really meant to say was that the SP1.7 is out of the running.

Michael

3. Geo

Geo Stunt Coordinator

4 digital coax inputs? Is that a deal breaker? Not many do. Most have more digital optical inputs than coax.
    But I think the new Sunfire Theater Grand III does?
    http://www.audiorevolution.com/news/....sunfire.shtml
    Not sure about the bass management issue?
    geo

4. Geo

Geo Stunt Coordinator

Never mind............ The Sunfire only has 3 digital coax inputs and I'm still not sure about bass management....
    But six letters and three numbers will get you the
    "Outlaw 950"........... eventually[​IMG]

5. Michael Mohrmann

Thanks Geo. I will see if my local dealer will be carrying the new Sunfire processor.

So far the Anthem AVM20 looks promising, except it currently doesn't have DPL II (which is much less of a deal breaker than the 4 digital coax inputs). Too bad the long Anthem threads were deleted by the system crash, it would appear that a lot of useful information was lost.

Michael