Bryston or dreadnaught?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by BobRoulier, Nov 30, 2003.

1. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

I am looking to upgrade my current ht amp parasound 2205at to either a Theta dreadnaught or a Bryston 9bsst to mate with my Theta Casablanca.

Both have great reviews the Bryston with its 20 year warranty, build quality etc.. and the dreadnaught with its great rep and uprgadability I dont really have the opportunity to demo these so I would like to hear from those who have heard them both.

Thanks Bob

2. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Dreadnaught all the way. Much smoother and better resolved than the Bryston, IMHO.

3. Scott_N

Scott_N Second Unit

Depends on if you like a smooth sounding amp which the Theta is or a more forward sound which the Bryston gives. What kind of speakers will you be driving?

4. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

He has 100s but is upgrading to something else maybe Thiels. It's pretty funny b/c Bob currently has all the equipment that I'm trying to obtain. (100s + 2205)

5. Scott_N

Scott_N Second Unit

Well with a forward speaker like Paradigm I would go with the Theta. Bryston is more neutral than Parasound so unless you think your system is too laid back I would go with Theta. I think Bryston works better with speakers that have soft dome tweeters IMO.