Bryston 9B-ST vs Proceed AMP5... opinions please?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Donald Lagasse, Aug 29, 2001.

1. Donald Lagasse

Donald Lagasse Stunt Coordinator

I currently have a Proceed AVP, a Bryston 3B (8 yrs old not an ST model) for my mains, a B&K ST1430 for the CC and rears. I am looking to upgrade my amp(s) with the intention of getting better 2ch audio primarily and better HT secondarily. I am looking at the Bryson 9B-ST or the Proceed AMP5. Is going from a 3B to a 9B-ST going to improve my 2 ch audio? Please give me your opinions on these 2 amps. I am also open to your suggestions... separates would be OK as well.
    Thanks

2. Charles Ledbetter

Charles Ledbetter Auditioning

Wow, this is going to be a tough call. You've picked two very good amps by reputatble manufacturers and they're both in the same price range. Should be around $4 grand each.
    At this level of equipment, it's going to come down to nothing but personal preference. Since you're almost for sure working with a high-end dealer, see if they'll let you take them home over a weekend for a test drive. I don't think you'll ever be disappointed with either amp, but one could shine a bit better depending on your source components, room and speakers.
    Charles

3. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Donald:
    When I was shopping for a 5 channel amp (last year), my short list was the same, 9B-ST & the Proceed. Both were great and I was fortunate enough to be able to try them both at my place for a weekend. At the end of the weekend, I went for the Bryston. I felt the Bryston was a better match with my speakers - more so than the Proceed. Their 20 year warranty also had a lot to do with that decision.
    I recently added a 4B-ST for my mains which does indeed make a big difference, especially for 2 channel. I now use the 9B-ST with my four surrounds and center.
    Good luck,
    Herb Kane
    ------------------

4. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

Both are good amps but you should still try them with your system. I own the 9B (a 5 channel and a 2 channel version) and I'm pretty happy with them. At 120wpc (benchtested at 160wpc!), they have more than enough power for my quite efficient DefTech speakers.
    Another option you may want to consider is the new 6B-ST (MSRP ~ $3800). 3 channels with 250wpc, same design as the rest of the Bryston amps (monoblocks in a single chassis). You could use this for your fronts and move the 3B to the side surrounds and move the B&K to the rear surrounds. That would be a pretty awesome 7.1 system!

5. Paul_B

Paul_B Agent

6. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Paul_B..... pretty similar systems. I also have a Lexicon MC-1 and my DVD is the DV-05. Speakers however, are Martin Logan all around. What's really eerie..... I'm car shopping right now and the 330 is a front runner...... What's that, they say about good taste....?
    Herb.
    ------------------

7. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

Donald:
    Like you, I place two-channel music performance above all else. I find many solid-state amps difficult to listen to and thus prefer tubes, which I use in my music room.
    For solid-state units I tend to prefer amps that utilize MOSFETS--I like their typical sweetness and liquidity. Thus, I presently use Adcom's MOSFET amps in our theater room. They are based on a Nelson Pass design and are superb.
    Presently I am trying to find time to visit a dealer and audition a couple of Pass Labs amps (all MOSFET designs) to see if I should upgrade. From reviews I have read they appear to be exceptionally musical products. The five-channel X5 retails for $4500; the three-channel X3 is $4250. When I contacted them with a couple of questions, their customer service was wonderful.
    Their website is at passlabs.com. Their dealer list shows a shop in San Antonio.
    Happy listening!

8. Donald Lagasse

Thank you all for the replies. I'll have to see if I can arrange an in home demo. I am new to the Houston area and do not have an established relationship with any dealer here... maybe a problem, I don't know. I do have a liking for the Bryston equipment (20 yr warranty).
    Gordon... I like your idea of the Bryston 6B-ST.
    Anybody have any ideas what the expected differences would be between the 9B-ST and the AMP5? I have some 8 yr old Monitor Audio G1200's for my mains.
    Thanks

9. Dion O

Dion O Auditioning

About a year ago I went through a similar debate. I actually had them both in my home at the same time. As an owner of the AVP I was leaning toward the AMP5 in the store but was not going to make a decision before a through audition. The Bryston is a great amp and would have worked great for me, if I had not listened to the Proceed. The AMP5 was much more open with better soundstaging and dynamics. The Proceed was more musical with a delicate top end. The Bryston was a touch more forward especially in the treble so it is really a personal preference here. I found the Proceed superior but that does not mean you will. I encourage you to test them both at home and make your own decision. They are both fantastic amps but I feel the Proceed is just superior! Hope this was helpful

10. Tom Fynan

Tom Fynan Stunt Coordinator

Don,
    If you can afford it, and don't mind separate amps, I would consider a Proceed HPA2 for your mains instead of the AMP5. I recently upgraded from an AMP2 for my mains (Magnepan 1.6s)to an HPA3 for my mains and center. I run it all with a PAV/PDSD. The AMP now powers my surrounds. I thought the AMP2 made my speakers sing really sweetly, until a heard them with the HPA. A much warmer, more detailed sound. I also use my system primarily for music, and I think the HPA is a more musical amplifier than the AMP. I can't comment on the Bryston.
    Good luck. It will be a tough, but fun decision.
    Tom Fynan

11. Donald Lagasse

Tom,
    I thought about going separates. In particular I was thinking about the HPA2 or the BPA2. Then again your configuration of the HPA3 across the mains and the CC sounds like an idea. Of course money is a factor but then I'd like to make the "correct" step rather than save the money. BPA vs the HPA models... is there that much difference?

12. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Bryston IMHO is a superior product with a superior warranty and better quality control. Why not try a 14B? Ooooof! 500 a side!