bryston 9b st or sst?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bruce.sb, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Bruce.sb

Bruce.sb Extra

Hi all
    Just got a new mc-1[​IMG]... Now trying to figure out what amp to get . Leaning to the bryston 9b-st($2500) or 9b-sst($3100). Any thought on one or the other? Or any feelings on a even better amp for me to look at? The 20 years warranty and great support is very appealing.

2. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Hi Bruce:

I have a 9B-ST for my center and surrounds and a 4B-ST for my mains. I am very happy with the Bryston amps. The changes to the 9B-ST to the SST are some circuitry changes and a new faceplate. The power rating for the 9B has NOT changed. Whether or not the new series is worth the extra $600.00, is up to you.

I had some service issues with Bryston recently. Do a search here on Bryston to find a thread I posted recently. Their service is outstanding.

BTW, I also have use a Lexicon MC-1 and am extremely happy with the combination.

Herb.

3. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

The Proceed AMP5 and Theta Intrepid are both worth looking at. Although higher priced than the 9bsst they are a step above the Bryston sound, IMHO.

4. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

5. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Herb asked:

6. JerryLang

JerryLang Agent

You don't have to spend that much. I have an MC-1 with a Rotel 1075 amp. [120w X 5] Couldn't be happier.

7. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Yogi:

8. Bruce.sb

Bruce.sb Extra

Hmmmm I thanks for the response so far guys. I do think IM going to have to look at the Proceed amp5... Though you both are right that these amps are all great(bryston,Proceed, and theta)--i have heard from a few folks that the Proceed specifically does have those good characteristics that was talked about above--"more musical--etc"...But no matter what i end up with i think im in the ballpark as far as getting something good goes. But anyone else that has a feeling about what amp to get--please post-- guess right now its looking like bryston and Proceed are the two--time will tell

9. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

10. John-Tompkins

John-Tompkins Second Unit

I have owned 25 different amps and mostly the differences were minor, that is untill I tried the lexcion 212/312 amps (2 and 3 channel versions of bryston 3bst)..I noticed major differences in about 10 seconds..tighter and more hard hitting bass, more realistc cymbals, DEAD quite background even at full volume, incredible clearity etc. I was worried about the occasional review that said it was edgy/bright and not so musical...PULEASE, couldnt disagree more, while its not warm it is how it should be, it just amplifies without putting any color on the sound (if you want warm , colored sound look elsewhere)

I used to want a "warm" amp or "musical" amp as to cover up inefficiences in other areas of my system. I have since changed my mind(after owning 25 amps:b ). An amp shouldnt have a sound of its own!, if I want to make my system more musical in say two channel well then I will add a smooth dac, cd player etc., if my turntable dosent have the exact sound I want then I will change the cartridge, phono stage.If HT isnt up to specs I would then look at another processor. I must say that I spun my wheels looking for a musical amp but in the end it would be best suited for only one portion of my system( I dont want warm in HT, I want resolution , clearity, power, neutrality). Again think about getting an amp that has no sound of its own and that has the least noise, plus enough watts to run your speakers, it is the way to go imho.

11. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

12. George Kouzev

George Kouzev Stunt Coordinator

From what I am reading (will try to get a first hand experience), the Bryston would make a great companion of the Mirage M5 speakers (which are perhaps slightly laid back), and perhaps the newer OM series as well.

GK