Bryston 5BST THX PRO

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by calvin_clements, Mar 8, 2004.

1. calvin_clements

Is $1700 CDN a good price for a Bryston 5BST THX PRO? It was manufactured May 1996. Any advice?

2. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

Bryston has a 20 year transferable warranty and the units are very sought after for both Commercial, general Audio and Home Theatre use. Excellent quality and reputation and the things are built like tanks.

The 5B THX retailed new for about 2400USD, so 1700CDN for a unit that still has 11 years of warranty left would seem to be a good price with a bit of room to dicker. Maybe the guy will go 1600 which puts it at around 50% of new retail. Must be the one from canuckaudiomart.....

Here's an old review from Secrets:
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...yston3b5b.html

If I wasn't in the middle of a speaker upgrade I'd have probably asked the guy for photos myself.

Consider that a new Rotel 1075 5x120 can be had for 1500 CDN, I still think that the used Bryston 3x120 would be a better deal for 1700.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

4. calvin_clements

Price is similar. Thanks for the comparison.[​IMG]

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Cool. I wasn't going to say anything, but since it looks like you might jump... [​IMG] I just got a 5b-st and 8b-st (3 + 4 channels) and I think I'm done looking for any more "upgrades" in the amplification dept for about, say, the next 10 years... [​IMG]

6. calvin_clements

Thanks. I purchased the 5B last night for $1500 CDN. My next purhase will be a 3B and a pre-amp. What do you use for a pre-amp/processor in your set-up?[​IMG]

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Congrats. I can see your smile now, when you open up the box after you get it. [​IMG] I have an MC-8. So far though, I have only hooked up the front L & R speakers. Sometime very soon, I have to hook up the rest of the channels and watch a movie.