What's new

Bryston 4bst versus Proceed HPA2 (1 Viewer)

Myron

Agent
I was looking into external amplication for my system since my receiver can't handle all the music into my 4 ohm MLs.

I originally was considering the Sherbourne 5/1500, but it was suggested to me that instead of considering a middle grade 5 channel amp, to spend a little bit more and get a really good 2 channel amp. The suggestion was the Proceed HPA2.

In considering it, I thought also about the Bryston eq. amp as its got a rock solid warranty (20 year).

I don't like amps that enhance or make the music warm or "bright". I want them to be as transparent as possible.

If I listen to home theater and classical music on Martin Logans (I'd use it to just drive the front L/r speakers), which of these two speakers would people recommend?

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
Both of them will kick the crap out of a sherbourne, that is for sure. I remember the proceed amp2 as being very detailed with a slighly dark presentation. I really liked it. I have only heard the 4bst for a second at a show. Will not venture a comment.

Proceed, to me, has always been the best bang for the buck available. Sure there are better, but they cost sooooo much more.

Good luck.
-rob

Yogi

Screenwriter
For me its unquestionably Proceed. Its very close to the Mark Levinson sound for a bargain (same output devices as the flagship ML #33). Very transparent, airy and dynamic compared to the slightly forward sounding Bryston so with Martin Logans it definetly has to be Proceed. Plus it is truly a high current design that doubles its power down to 2 ohm loads. Even though the spec sheet only rates it at 500W@4 Ohms according to Madrigal technicians it almost pumps 1000W into a 2 ohm load. Now thats some serious power. So in MHO the Proceed is even a step up from Bryston. I think you should listen to both and confirm for yourself. Warranty wise the Bryston wins hands down, but if an amp doesnt break down in its first year of use then it will most probably last a lifetime. Although the 20 yr warranty does sound reassuring.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Myron... I also have a 7.1 ML system (Ascents, Aerius i's and scripts and a Theater center). I have a Bryston 4B-ST for my mains and a 9B-ST for my center and surrounds. I am very pleased with the Bryston and ML combo. While I'm really not qualified to compare it to the Proceed (having not spent much time with Proceed), I will say this; The newer ST series (and I surely suspect the new SST series as well) is not forward or bright. Bryston did have reputation for being bright with some their older products, however, I don't believe this to be valid with their newer products.

As for their 20 year warranty.... do a search on this forum on Bryston for a recent service story I posted to get a feel for their level of customer service. All things being equal, nobody can compete with their service.

Herb.

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
Have not heard Bryston but they have a very good reputation. But I have heard Proceed many times and of the two I would steer toward the Proceed just because I like what I've heard. But, I wouldn't stop at just those two amps if I out shopping either. Parasounds new mono amps would be on my list as well as Aragons new amp line. Do your homework now before you buy.

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
Good point Darrel,

Conrad Johnson is also worth a listen. Extremely musical to say the least. I have seen a bunch of new ones on Audiogon.

-rob

Myron

Agent
Thanks for the info. At this point, I'm still researching. Whatever I end up with has to last for a long long time, even including some speaker upgrades. Proceed was suggested by a local dealer. And I was a bit familiar with the Bryston. Am not that familiar with Parasound and Aragon nor Conrad Johnsons. Another possibility that I want to investigate is Krell but I suspect that they're even pricier than the Proceed.

Marantz and a couple of others were also suggested by different dealers, but I've pretty much already thrown them out as I don't like the sound they produce. To me, its too warm (bright). Outlaw I personally don't think is in the same caliber as either the Bryston nor the Proceed. Nor in my opinion is Adcom.

At this point, I'm strictly looking at 2 channel amps. Just about everything with pretty decent quality is in play. I've even thought about some of the tube amps, but not sure about how well they'd work for Home Theater. Suspect not that well.

Yogi

Screenwriter
The Krell KAV series is inferior to the Proceed line, IMHO (too dark sounding) and is about the same price range. Krell premier line doesnt start until you get to the FPB line while are in the same league as Mark Levinson.

Also a word about Madrigal customer support: I just sent out my Amp 2 which was out of the warranty period for a check up and they upgraded it to the latest BPA2 with some added 1% MF resistors and capacitor upgrade, FREE of charge. They did this within three days which includes a burn in for 24 hours before shipping. Madrigal totally stands behind their products 100% and their customer service is top notch and second to none in the industry:emoji_thumbsup:.

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
Yogi, I bet it helps living right down the street from them too!

I have the HPA2. I was able to get one of the last ones Tweeter had for $1950 out the door. I love it. Tons of power for my studio 100's and it never looses detail. Bass is very tight. The only draw back on the HPA2 is that the binding posts do not accept banana jacks. I was thinking of aptempting to put some WBT jacks on the back.

I have never heard any Bryston so sorry, I cannot comment on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks