Bryan Singer talks X2 at Comic-Con

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by oscar_merkx, Aug 5, 2002.

1. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

here is the full transcript at http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stori.../05/singer.htm
    the following is just a sample from that interview, makes for great reading anyway including the fact that the movie was rushed up 6 months
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    QUESTION: Can you confirm Internet reports that you supposedly have origin sequences for Cyclops and Storm that are supposed to be on the DVD?
    SINGER: No.
    QUESTION: There were 15 minutes cut out of the original film, that's not true?
    SINGER: Fifteen minutes? There was a million feet of footage cut out. Just heads and tails with shots. We screened an assembly at one point for friends, we never tested the movie, then we just got it tighter, tighter, tighter. I don't know, there was never 15 minutes.
    QUESTION: There wasn't like whole sequences?
    SINGER: No, no. No. There was no sequence. Tom (DeSanto), was there a sequence? There was no sequence. It was just getting things tighter and doing what you do to edit a movie. It came up a relatively short film.
    There are some things in the editing area. It was difficult because of the schedule pressures. It was the only time I would have done something differently. Now, I don't have those issues.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

2. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    Very cool. I am totally psyched about this movie. Also a little bummed they he may not do a third. I can't think of any other director that I would want to do X-men 3.

3. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit

Vlad-
    Singer's participation isn't the only thing preventing an X3. I have a friend who works at Fox (and who reports that both X2 and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen are coming along nicely) and he said that he doubts there will be an X-men 3 simply because of the cost of the actors. Everyone was signed on for one sequel at the time of the first movie, and therefore they are working on X2 for roughly the same amount of money as they got for the original. But there was no obligation to do a third film at a cut rate and since many of the actors have seen their careers improve significantly since the original (esp Halle Berry with the Oscar and Jackman who was totally unknown at the time of the original) that they almost certainly will demand a pay hike for part three. Since these are ensemble movies the cost of the actors could get quite steep. Thus my friend thinks the studio would have to look long and hard at the costs involved in X3. Or they could just wait for the main star's careers to hit a cold streak, like what happened with MIB2 (which was similarly deemed too costly for many years because of the gross participation demands of Smith, Jones, Sonnenfield and Spielberg, who wanted nearly half the box office up front until all parties backed down and a deal was arranged so that Columbia might actually be able to make money on the sequel).
    - Guy

4. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

When the first movie came out, all the main people said the signed up for 3.

5. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit

Unfortunately my friend at Fox is on vacation at the moment. But he seemed pretty sure that the majority of the players had only signed up for two (and trust me when I say that he was in the position to know). I'll check back with him when he returns.
    - Guy

6. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

Well everything that Singer, DeSanto, Hayter and the Donnors set up was for a trilogy and I know for damn sure that Marsden, Halle, Stewart, Famke, Hugh and Anna all signed up for 3.
    I think Ian McKellen might have only signed up for 2 though.
    The main cast did sign up for 3 though. I remember reading that time and time again when the first movie was coming out.

7. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

8. Matt Wooten

Matt Wooten Second Unit

Entertainment Weekly has put up alot of exclusive photos on their site. bear in mind a few spoilers as to some mutants that are going to be in the film are in here. [​IMG]
    Entertainment Weekly

9. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

The actor costs are what will ruin any desire the studio has to make the film. No studio will pay US$10mil+ each to a whole slew of actors for one film. It's rare enough you get two or even three top level actors in the same flick ... there won't be an X-men 3 with this cast unless some extraordinary fiscal details are resolved. [​IMG]
    I heard they were considering doing a Wolverine spinoff flick, presumably with Jackman. Now that'd be a damn cool project!

10. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

If there was just someway they could NOT re-sign Halle Berry, I would be much happier about an X-Men 3. She really hurt the first film for me.

11. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

12. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stori...0/23/index.htm
    During last Friday's press tour in Vancouver, British Columbia, production designer Guy Dyas showed a sketch of how he interpreted Colossus' look, with an arm showing metal muscles and tendons.
    "It was my interpretation of how we could take something in the comic book and turn it into something quite interesting and something we haven't seen before," Dyas said. "You know, the idea of a man made entirely of metal was an interesting concept, but how do you actually turn that into something that's even halfway believable?
    there is a lot more at the site

13. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    They can alway recast the movie.