Bryan Ferry - "Frantic" - DVD A or SACD or both?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Al B. C, Jun 29, 2002.

1. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

What gives with this new release?

Is it DVD-A or SACD? I've seen it adv. as being both formats. If it is indeed a DVD-A as listed on Circuitcity.com then is this another anomoly by Virgin records? Virgin is confusing the shit out of me like I stated in another thread. They release the Stones on SACD and then apparently (maybe) release Ferry on DVD-A. If you dig further, Virgin and Capitol are tied together and Capitol is falling in the DVD-A column.

What gives?

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Al,

My understanding is that it is only available on Super Audio and redbook, but I could be mistaken.

Virgin has been a big supporter of Super Audio lately.

3. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Al, perhaps you read this already, but if you scroll down to Micahel C's last post in the thread linked below, you will see that he made mention of Frantic being available on both high-resolution formats. Here is the link:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=79466
    I don't know if Micahel got the information from Circuit City's web site or somewhere else, but he is up on these things.

5. Micahel C

Micahel C Stunt Coordinator

Al,

This title initially turned up on Amazon's German site as a pre-order back in late Feb. It was a day/date release on vinyl lp, cd, dvd-a and sacd. Released in Europe on Apr 15th in all formats. Made it's way to Canada on May 28th and is just showed here in the US recently.

An acquaintance of mine ordered the dvd-a from Amazon Germany direct when it first released there. Needless to say it was expensive with shipping from Europe. The best price I've seen here in the US is $28.79. It can be purchased from the HMV Canadian site for $22.37 (US). The disc contains both hi-rez 5.1 MLP and stereo tracks.

As for EMI/Virgin, it's been discussed in another thread about the fact that they are currently issuing titles in both dvd-a and sacd formats. The Bryan Ferry is the first title that they've released in both. Hope this helps.

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Micahel, thanks for the information. Much appreciated. HMV has some great prices.