What's new

Brute Force Frat Speakers (1 Viewer)

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
Okay i have a friend in charge of the audio system at his frat and he has turned to me for advice on what to do.

Their system as it stands right now is really really pathetic, an old pair of 3 way 15" KLHs that have been used and abused for way way to long, its makes me shudder just to look at them, Powered by a kenwood pro logic receiver. and in the other room they have some desktop computer speakers, this is by far the most ghetto set up around.

Obviously their goal isn't for the best sounding system in the world, but more of brute force, loud, loud and even more louder, the louder the better, so quality can be set on the back burner.

What he has in mind is either redoing the KLH's with new components or investing in a new pair for the other room, The only problem is the frat will only front him 100-150 bucks. So i am sure he could get some POS OEM 15 from PE, and possibly rework the OX or new mid range or tweeter.

Or what i think he should do is take that 100-150 bucks and replace the computer speakers with a brute force 10" 2 way using a crapy piezo. Granted it won't sound great, but when you got 100 people in a small room crowded around a beer die table screaming, the quality isn't of highest concern.

So do you guys know of any sort of kits or just general ideas? I am looking for something like my Pis but the finish and time put into them won't be as much, and a little cheaper

Kenny WH

Stunt Coordinator
Want loud?, Want brute force? I would replace the 15" driver in the KLH's with efficient prosound gold- woods,Pyles,Pyramids etc and use cheap horn drivers for the mids and cheap horn tweets from PE. Just leave the KLH x/o since your not worried too much about sound quality.

Considering the high sensitvity of prosound woofs and horn drivers, that old pro-logic rec. should push these easily to ear splitting levels if needed.

Good Luck,
Ken

JimPeitersen

Second Unit
Replacing the drivers may lead to impedence/efficiency/crossover problems. I would look at pawn shops for older pro speakers, or of course the old stand-by Cerwin Vega's!
JP

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
I had a design for a pair of frat house speakers using a pair of 12" Dayton Series II woofers in each speaker, driven by a 250-watt plate amplifier in each speaker. The net result is crazy, crazy bass, theoretically with lots of punch and tightness as well as deep extension, but the price is a tad high at about $500 for the pair. The mids and highs were covered by a sealed-design Dayton 8" MTM using the Dayton dome tweeter and 8" woofers.

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
well he brought one of the KLHs over to my dorm room and we had a good look at it in some decent light and, noticed why it was sounding like crap, he said there was a bad rattle/vibration from it, i almost thought it could be a bad voice coil, but when we hooked it yup to my crown and played "Get Low" by lil John, we noticed the vibration was coming from the driver board being separated from the cab in two corners if not threes corners along with the back panel i guess it just shoot it self to pieces, if we both hold the driver boards firmly it actually sounds pretty well.

We will sink some brads and calk it all up and add some more polyfill to it and it should be all good.

Jeff Hoak

Stunt Coordinator
Hunt down a pair of Infinity SM152s.

They show up fairy often on eBay for very reasonable prices, usually $250 to $400 a pair depending on condition. I've also seen them in pawn shops but the asking price has always been WAY out of line.

One reviewer at audioreview call them "the ultimate party speaker". Can get CRAZY loud as they are very efficient (110 db@1w IIRC). TONS of bass. Big enough to bury someone it. Hooked up to a 100W+ amp and you'll be blowing out windows in no time.

I ran a pair of these for several years. I can vouch for the CRAZY loud part. I still have a pair in storage. Someday I'll find a suitable home for them.

The best part... They actually sound decent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks