Bruckheimer -vs- Bay, the look... the feel???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Huffstutler, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    I was intrigued with the look of Armageddon which both Bruckheimer and Bay worked on. Again, I saw it in Pearl Harbor. Now I see it once more in Black Hawk Down.
    Each movie rates differently with different people but to me, the cinematography is enough to pull you into the action. the use of vivid colors, camera angles, and CGI makes for a truly 3-D experience.
    But in Black Hawk Down, Bay was not a part of it so makes me wonder if other Bruckheimer movies (which I haven't seen) fit the same mold?
    Any suggestions?

2. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Bad Boys and The Rock all have a similar style.

You can see Bruckheimer's influence in other non-Bay films such as Con Air, Enemy of the State, and Crimson Tide, and even on TV programs like CSI (which I love).

Look to the early Beverly Hills Cop movies to see the style begin.

IMO, I think Bruckheimer has the most influence in the look and feel of movies he works on, seconded only by the Weinsteins.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

4. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

To me Bruckheimer and Bay equal Great Entertainment! I love all their stuff! [​IMG]

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i haven't seen bhd yet (but i guarantee you i will), but the battle scenes really reminded me of saving private ryan...they kind of had that grainy, "dirty" feel.

looks most excellent!

i know i'm gonna get killed for saying this, but...

i think bruckheimer puts out really fun movies! there! i said it...

6. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I said it too Ted! Bruckheimer and/or Bay put out some of the most FUN films I have ever seen!

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

word up sean!!! [​IMG]

8. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    Michael,
    That is because Gladiator, Hannibal, and Black Hawk Down were all Directed by Ridley Scott. Seems the battle scenes look the same in his movies and to me, quite irritating!
    What I am saying is that the scenes are too jumpy and short, mostly chaotic. You get millisecond snippets flashing before your eyes and though you know what is happening, it just doesn't satisfy my needs. I guess I am from the old school of Veg-A-Matic movies (slice and dice)where you watch a violent scene play out slowly with close up gory detail for the gross-out or disturbing effect.

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

10. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

Bad Boys and The Rock are great movies. [​IMG]

11. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I have to admit that i'm starting to find that Bay/Bruckheimer "look" pretty annoying too. They all have that golden sheen to them, and by the time the movie is over we'll see two things:
    1. A group shot of the heros all walking slowly towards the camera, while a fighter jet, or jets, fly over their heads in slow motion, and...
    2. A shot of a flock of birds, fighter jet, or biplane flying in slow motion in front of a bright golden sunset.
    Enough.
    I also find that the music in these films are very similar, Bay/Bruckheimer always choose either Hans Zimmer, or Trevor Rabin to compose the music, and that also makes every movie seem the same because the scores for these films all sound the same. That's growing tiresome to me also, however I like the score for 'Armageddon'.
    From what i've seen of 'BHD' it looks more like 'Three Kings' in it's look rather than the usual Bruckheimer fare, and that's a welcome sight for me.

12. Phong

Phong Agent

Bah, both of them take the notion of continuity editing and throw it out the window. They are all about getting the most action in the shortest amount of time, without any concern for establishing a thread which the audience can follow during the action.
    It's passive watching at its best, no attention span needed. A very entertaining article appeared in a Seattle newspaper called The Stranger several years ago titled "Armageddon, or how not to make a movie." I wish I could find it online.
    If you want to name a director who has a very concrete feel and style which is not MTVish, try Wes Anderson. Anderson is one of the most economical directors today, in that he packs a ton of meaning in every frame of film, while still maintaining a distinct and dare I say, edgy, style.

13. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

14. Rollo Lee

Rollo Lee Agent

IMHO Tony Scott & Ridley Scott are responsible for the current popularity of that filtered, extremely vivid, candy-coloured look. Top Gun may have been the earliest example of this. My guess is that Bruckheimer is no fool, saw that those visuals were cool and unique (at the time) and decided it would work
    Michael Bay is responsible for popularizing the awful, epileptic, editing. Again, my guess is Bruck decided that was good and looked for people to do that. I can't remember which, but on the DVD commentary of some B-movie action flick, the director mentions his work on Bruckheimer's TV show "Soldier of Fortune". Apparently, there was a written rule that there had a be a cut every X number of seconds.
    Together, that's become the "MTV style" that people refer to.
    And the style is getting old FAST. Even Bay has toned it down (see Pearl Harbor). It seems to me that other directors are now appropriating the best elements of that approach while discarding the bad aspects, technique-wise. Stuff like M:I-2, Charlie's Angels and even Tomb Raider have those great visuals, but the editing is far better, far clearer. No comment about whether the films overall are any good. [​IMG]

15. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

Comparing Bay and Scott. Thats like comparing Star Wars to Battlestar Galactica. Scott knows how to shoot a film, Bay just shoots a film.

I love the way Scott shoots his films, no matter what I can always understand whats going on and whose where and doing what. Maybe its not so much his style of shooting, but his editing. If Bay shot a film like Scott does, I wouldnt know where anybody was. I saw Black Hawk Down yesterday and must say the Scott's camera is just amazing, he puts you right there, in the battle, and by the end you feel as if you've been wounded. Its really quite amazing what camera work can do to give you a gut reaction.