What's new

bruce willis to host LATE NIGHT tonight. (2/26/2003) (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Thanks a bunch for the heads up! I seldom watch Letterman, but I'll definitely be watching this...what am I saying, he's not even going to be on tonight! :) I wish Letterman no ill will, I just don't care for his material. Hope he gets better soon!

Oh, and it's the Late Show, not Late Night. Late Night is Conan.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Is this the first time Letterman has had a guest host? I don't remember that every happening before.

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
When he was having heart surgery they had a guest host for quite a few shows. I can't remember who hosted, though...Robin Williams maybe?

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Oh, I thought he was just on hiatus during the surgery. Shows you what I know.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
He also had that woman from "Life With Bonnie" host it once IIRC.

The Willis show was Ok. The highlight was the comedian at the end imo. It was an enjoyable show, but I feel sorry for the audience who was looking forward to seeing Dave. :frowning: I hope they got another set of tickets for a later show. Of all the talk shows I think his are the hardest to get (not counting Oprah :)).

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I certainly felt sorry for Bruce Willis. After all, he was obviously thrown into the awkward position of being host at the last minute. However, he did a pretty lame job. Willis has always struck me as having a fairly low intelligence, even by celebrity standards. This was confirmed by his obvious confusion about what he should ask Dan Rather. He was obviously MUCH more comfortable with the Carmen Electra interview, which is in itself pretty revealing. Perhaps it was because she actually made him appear fairly bright.

I have nothing against the guy. In fact, I've admired many of his performances. I just sincerely hope that Dave was too ill to watch last night's show.

Link Removed

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Actually, the guest host weeks were pretty entertaining - Bill Cosby looked uncomfortable, and David Brenner was as bland as you'd expect, but Janeane Garafolo, Dana Carvey and Nathan Lane (notable for Mel Brooks being a guest and begging him to sign onto the Broadway version of The Producers he was planning to mount, opposite Martin Short) were very funny. Garafolo had the cast of Mr. Show on and I think had an uncredited Ben Stiller as the bandleader.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I'd love for them to do guest hosts for sweeps week one week only. That was rather fun, and still have the Cosby one taped somewhere.. Definetly a ratings grabber, if anything.

James T

Screenwriter
It was in the paper today that one of Dave's producers mentioned that during his whole late night hosting, he never had a single sick day except for yesterday. This does not include his heart surgery. Not too bad for someone who's been on tv for that long.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
So do any of you conspiracy theorists think he used these "sick" days to get some more plastic surgery? ;) Remember all the heat Letterman took from his guests and the tabloids after his triple bypass..

I can't rule out the possibility that he didn't (he looks great) but he doesn't seem like the kind of pereson that would hide it, especially behind an emergency surgery story.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
scottl what are you talking about?

i never heard anyting like that.

are you referring to when he was out after the heart surgery?

are you suggesting that a guy who hadnt taken a day off from his show in over 20 years would take time off to get plastics done then tell every one it was heart surgery.

then even have all the doctors on who performed the operation.

when did he take heat during his triple bypass?

and heat for what?

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Willis has always struck me as having a fairly low intelligence, even by celebrity standards. This was confirmed by his obvious confusion about what he should ask Dan Rather.
That's not really fair.

Willis is neither a journalist nor a talk show host. I'm sure any number of people would have been a little awkward trying to interview Dan Rather.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Tony- slow it down ;) Are you an avid watcher of the show? If you saw, several episodes right after his surgery made reference to this. One I can particularly remember is when he had Gov. Jesse Ventura on and he joked around with Dave about it. Letterman quickly changed the subject and when he did the crowd started laughing.

are you suggesting that a guy who hadnt taken a day off from his show in over 20 years would take time off to get plastics done then tell every one it was heart surgery.
No, not me. Read my post again.

McEnroe was definitely better than Bruce, but still bland and not Dave. :)

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
That's not really fair.

Willis is neither a journalist nor a talk show host. I'm sure any number of people would have been a little awkward trying to interview Dan Rather.
That's why I prefaced my statement by stating that I felt sorry for him since he was obviously "thrown into the awkward position of being host at the last minute". Being a talk-show host is definitely tougher than it looks, and I give Willis points for having the guts to assume Dave's chair for an hour. However, I do think that Dave's staff should have prepared some good questions for him to ask Dan Rather. Either they did (and Bruce ignored them) or they didn't. Either way, I still maintain that Willis seems to be one of the more unintelligent "A-list" celebrities, but I should have clarified in my original post that my personal opinion is based on more than simply his job as "Late Night" host this past week.

I think Willis has given some top-notch performances (12 Monkeys, Pulp Fiction, Nobody's Fool), and I feel that intellect is certainly not a prerequisite for being a good actor. In fact, in some cases is might actually be a hindrance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks